Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Tradition (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/tradition-t232436.html)

Grammie Sharon 10-16-2013 03:12 AM

I always do this too. Nannc what does the hard boiled egg do in the gravy? a thickener? After I boil the neck with a stalk of celery and onion I take off whatever meat and use that in the stuffing. I cook the heart and giblets with the turkey and hubby and daughter argue over who get what. The liver I fry up for the dog so they could celebrate too. Have you ever not taken the giblet pack out of the neck? Don't ask!!!

cherrio 10-16-2013 06:28 AM

absolutely! no waste.

suzyq2154 10-16-2013 07:15 AM

Yes. That's the way my grandmother taught me to make gravy, and honestly, it doesn't taste as good without it.

SueSew 10-16-2013 07:56 AM

I confess I have a couple times gone beyond the neck and the giblets. Bought extra necks and wings, browned them well in a roasting pan on the grill, added celery carrots onions and spices and a quart of water and simmered. Something about the browned meat adding caramelized flavor and nice brown color...mmmmm

Letty 10-16-2013 09:03 AM

Hi Tartan,The neck and giblets are so. so important in making gravy.However here in the U.K I have to always insist on them being included.I ususally buy from my local butcher, no problem- however supermarkets often don't include them and frozen turkey certainly does not!! How can you make gravey without giblets? In the past I have had to resort to buying chicken livers to make a stock----Roll on Christmas, and first for you in the U.S. Thanksgiving, love to you all . Letty

CAS49OR 10-16-2013 01:59 PM

Yes, but I would remove the meat from the neck and chop the giblets and use all of it in my dressing, along with the stock to dampen the croutons. I also added some celery, onion and a pinch of poultry seasoning.

noveltyjunkie 10-16-2013 02:05 PM

Of course! At Christmas I even cook up the giblets the night before to get a head start.

sharin'Sharon 10-16-2013 10:15 PM

My husband's family LOVES dressing, so the giblets are ground with 1# of bacon and an onion; then add sage, a dash of nutmeg, eggs and croutons (1/2 seasoned & 1/2 plain) and LOTS of warm water. Use your hands to 'squish' it altogether!!! It is so moist when done. They want more stuffing than will fit in the turkey cavity and under the neck skin. The neck is saved to add with the carcass for turkey/homemade noodle soup. My sister-in-law thought she would add a little 'color' to the dressing one year and added shredded carrots............which did not get approval from the siblings.

JBeamer 10-16-2013 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy (Post 6348570)
I have never mastered the art of making gravy, but I still cook the neck and giblets and feed it to the dog. Happy Thanksgiving for him, too.

I hope you don't give the dog the neck bones. They can cause all kinds of problems - stuck in gums, throat, stomach perforation or intestinal block - to name a few. I know many people have fed dogs and cats too with nary a problem, but it only takes once. Don't mean to offend but check online or with your vet please!