Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Train ride across Canada (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/train-ride-across-canada-t261722.html)

sdeaaz 02-24-2015 11:37 AM

Train ride across Canada

Has anyone done a train ride across Canada. We are looking at a tour. Sure would appreciate any suggestions. Pros and Cons.... thanks.

ManiacQuilter2 02-24-2015 12:46 PM

I have wanted my best to try this because he so much loves trains. Will be watching. I think one of the PBS show (maybe Globe Trekker) had an episode about going by train across Canada.

Prism99 02-24-2015 12:57 PM

Wow! Have you taken shorter train trips? If not, I ***strongly*** recommend that you do this to make sure you enjoy riding on a train. Some are better than others, I'm sure, but try to choose a similar type of train.

Personally, this is something I would never do because I hate riding on trains. My brother loved trains until he travelled from the Midwest to the West Coast by train. Never again.

One thing to remember on trains is that food and drinks are ***very*** expensive. Most people would want to carry a lot of their own food with them.

Kimkankwilt 02-24-2015 01:51 PM

My aunt did a train trip across Canada and loved it....but, she's a well-traveled gal that does lots of stuff like that.

Joy.lynn 02-24-2015 04:03 PM

We had friends come from New Zealand to Saskatchewan. They were going to land in Vancouver and take the train to the prairies and found the price of the train ride exorbitant. They landed in Calgary and went to the Calgary Stampede instead.

ckcowl 02-24-2015 04:12 PM

I love cross country train trips! One of my absolutely favorite ways to go! I've traveled west coast ( San Diego to Chicago) and Seattle to Chicago many times. The Canadian trip is on our list of up coming trips.

cookiemonster 02-24-2015 04:28 PM

Train stops in Winnipeg MB, on Main st. downtown. When you there call me, I'll glady accompany you to travel transit system downtown.. We have a free shuttle for downtown. Otherwise a fee.. Lots of coffee places downtown, but not much in shopping. Shopping malls are about 1.5hrs away via transit systems. Universities 1/2-1hr. travel time. I thought of doing train rail, but looked complicated.

Jeanne S 02-24-2015 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by cookiemonster (Post 7104172)
Train stops in Winnipeg MB, on Main st. downtown. When you there call me, I'll glady accompany you to travel transit system downtown.. We have a free shuttle for downtown. Otherwise a fee.. Lots of coffee places downtown, but not much in shopping. Shopping malls are about 1.5hrs away via transit systems. Universities 1/2-1hr. travel time. I thought of doing train rail, but looked complicated.

Cookie Monster--Winnipeg is delightful! Loved the shops down by the river area and the outdoor sculpture park. Spent a couple of days there before flying north to Churchill to photograph the polar bears. Loved that trip!!!

Stitchit123 02-25-2015 04:20 AM

My Mom took this trip in 97 and my Aunt-in-law in 13 and they both loved it. And the pictures could have been taken at the same time. The staff and passengers were friendly. It was Mom's greatest adventure. I'm sure you all will love it. According to both it was all pro's and no con's.

janjj 02-25-2015 07:31 AM

Took a bus trip, flew to Vancouver, then train ride, we were 5 traveling together on this, so ended up 2 and 3. the 3 of us ended up many many cars back of the rest of the group. didn't see our guide or the others til we got off the train and none of us had any idea what to expect. did not get breakfast and the list could go on and on. Bad way to begin our trip. was a costly trip too. So my advice check it out before you sign up for something like this. this was a Canadian Rockies trip.