Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Train ride across Canada

Train ride across Canada

Has anyone done a train ride across Canada. We are looking at a tour. Sure would appreciate any suggestions. Pros and Cons.... thanks.

I have wanted my best to try this because he so much loves trains. Will be watching. I think one of the PBS show (maybe Globe Trekker) had an episode about going by train across Canada.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Wow! Have you taken shorter train trips? If not, I ***strongly*** recommend that you do this to make sure you enjoy riding on a train. Some are better than others, I'm sure, but try to choose a similar type of train.

Personally, this is something I would never do because I hate riding on trains. My brother loved trains until he travelled from the Midwest to the West Coast by train. Never again.

One thing to remember on trains is that food and drinks are ***very*** expensive. Most people would want to carry a lot of their own food with them.

My aunt did a train trip across Canada and loved it....but, she's a well-traveled gal that does lots of stuff like that.
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Blog Entries
    We had friends come from New Zealand to Saskatchewan. They were going to land in Vancouver and take the train to the prairies and found the price of the train ride exorbitant. They landed in Calgary and went to the Calgary Stampede instead.

Blog Entries
    I love cross country train trips! One of my absolutely favorite ways to go! I've traveled west coast ( San Diego to Chicago) and Seattle to Chicago many times. The Canadian trip is on our list of up coming trips.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Train stops in Winnipeg MB, on Main st. downtown. When you there call me, I'll glady accompany you to travel transit system downtown.. We have a free shuttle for downtown. Otherwise a fee.. Lots of coffee places downtown, but not much in shopping. Shopping malls are about 1.5hrs away via transit systems. Universities 1/2-1hr. travel time. I thought of doing train rail, but looked complicated.
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 02-24-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: errors

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Train stops in Winnipeg MB, on Main st. downtown. When you there call me, I'll glady accompany you to travel transit system downtown.. We have a free shuttle for downtown. Otherwise a fee.. Lots of coffee places downtown, but not much in shopping. Shopping malls are about 1.5hrs away via transit systems. Universities 1/2-1hr. travel time. I thought of doing train rail, but looked complicated.
    Cookie Monster--Winnipeg is delightful! Loved the shops down by the river area and the outdoor sculpture park. Spent a couple of days there before flying north to Churchill to photograph the polar bears. Loved that trip!!!

Blog Entries
    My Mom took this trip in 97 and my Aunt-in-law in 13 and they both loved it. And the pictures could have been taken at the same time. The staff and passengers were friendly. It was Mom's greatest adventure. I'm sure you all will love it. According to both it was all pro's and no con's.

Took a bus trip, flew to Vancouver, then train ride, we were 5 traveling together on this, so ended up 2 and 3. the 3 of us ended up many many cars back of the rest of the group. didn't see our guide or the others til we got off the train and none of us had any idea what to expect. did not get breakfast and the list could go on and on. Bad way to begin our trip. was a costly trip too. So my advice check it out before you sign up for something like this. this was a Canadian Rockies trip.

I LOVE to ride the trains in Canada. Took a train from Halifax, NS to Prince Rupert (west coast of Canada) -- 5,800 miles if I remember correctly. Talk to a travel agent. Our meals on the train were included in the total price.

My cousin did it & she loved it. Years ago I took a train from California to Michigan & had a ball

Traveling by train across Canada is a gorgeous trip! (Via Rail or if just the west the Rocky Mountaineer) Do your research so you know what to expect for whatever type of seat/compartment you purchase. Yes the food is pricey, but it's good and fun to sit in the dining car while the scenery is passing by. (at many stops you have a chance to get out and walk about and can buy some munchies) The dome car is of course everyone's favourite spot to sit, so it is worth checking out.

Blog Entries
    my gran made the trip 57 years ago by herself. She loved it. She had gone by Queen Mary liner from Liverpool to Canada, was met by relatives then went by train to Vancouver to stay with relatives. She visited Vancouver Islandby boat but had to come back by air due to a strick of ferries.
    At this time was in her 60's. Like myself she loved trains so had a wonderful trip.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I am travelling on the rocky mountaineer in June this year combining with an Alaska cruise and I can't wait as both look fabulous. Hubby and I planned this trip a few years back but it's been on back burner due to my accident and mobility issues, but I'm as mobile now as im going to be so im biting the bullet and going for it. I want to pick up some Barbara Lavalee quilt patterns in Alaska

I love traveling by train and go that way to see my kids in the Bay area. I cannot drive as cheap nor get there as fast if I do. My only problem is have no transportation while I am there. Sometimes I like to go shopping or ? and have to wait until someone is free to go along

Power Poster
    Haven't but would love to...

Several years ago my husband and I took a tour taking Via Rail from Toronto, across the shield, making a few stops (Winnipeg, Banff, Jasper, Icefields) and also took the Rocky Mountaineer finally ending in Vancouver. All totaled it was an 11 night trip and it was FANTASTIC! As someone mentioned above, it isn't cheap, but for a once-in-a-lifetime trip, it was well worth it. Definitely talk to a travel agent.