Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Treasure in your sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/treasure-your-sewing-room-t281137.html)

Fizzle 08-08-2016 05:15 AM

Old banking bag with moms crochet hooks. I don't crochet.

lovelyl 08-08-2016 05:38 AM

I have a small wooden shelf that my dad made to hold his books, but now it hold my quilting stuff. And I have my mom's large sewing basket on legs that I remember my brother and I buying for her on Mother's Day when I was about 12 years old. Both items make me smile!

Davena 08-08-2016 05:52 AM

Thanks for asking this question. Just the other day I was looking through and old large file cabinet in the garage and found my GM jewellery box. It is empty and I know I can not part with it and wondered how it got put in there? But when I moved I guess I just put stuff where ever , as I found lots of stuff I had forgotten about. Anyway this has given me the idea of where my GM jewellery box can go and what I will use it for. To my sewing room it will go. Thanks for sharing.

mhollifiel 08-08-2016 06:02 AM

My late DH's grandmother's button tin came to me. My 3 year old grandaughter loves to play with me from that big tin. Fruitcake may have come in it. I also have a wool felted pin cushion I bought. While I was teaching my grandson to quilt, he grouped the quilting pins by color in it. I can't bear to break his pattern. He made that a working treasure. Now when I take it to classes or retreats, everyone thinks I am a bit OCD! LOL! They should see my sewing areas :)

ShirlinAZ 08-08-2016 07:16 AM

I have enough stuff to equip at least 3 sewing rooms! My G-grandma's crocheted needle case and thimble are probably my favorite, but I also have tatting shuttles from my grandmother (yes, I tat), crochet hooks from both grandmothers and mother (yes, I crochet), button tins from both grandmothers and mother, mother's Singer treadle machine with all the attachments, her tomato pin cushion, wooden spools of thread, fabric scraps, countless pins and needles, and unfinished projects. I made the Sulky "Love to Sew" 2013 BOM and attached a lot of the memories. Yesterday I found a partial pack of Milward needles that were labeled "war pack" and I added that to the quilt. My family has never been rich with money, but I did inherit a lot of things that were important to them.

ManiacQuilter2 08-08-2016 07:40 AM

I have the spool holders that my Grandfather made out of wood for my Grandmother. Just last week, I found that the Aurifil thread sits perfect on one of them!

mjmachin 08-08-2016 07:50 AM

I have my grandmother's thimble and some of her crochet hooks. She is the one who taught me to sew and crochet so these are so very special to me. I remember having such a hard time keeping a thimble on my little fingers but she insisted I lean to use it. Now I would not sew without it on my finger. I think of her often when I am sewing, I think she still watches over my shoulder!!

sak658 08-08-2016 08:32 AM

I have my mom's featherweight and her thimble...and lots of her quilts..My sister next to me, pieced quilts also, I lost my mom in 2004 and she was 93...my sister died 5 months later with colon cancer, she was only 59, so I got all of her things and my moms...Miss them every day..and think of them when I'm making quilts...

SSStitches 08-08-2016 09:46 AM

I have really enjoyed your stories! I too have things from other family members, but the little bowl touches my heart. Mom is 87 and still uses her Singer, I will sew with it one day.

Bren 08-08-2016 11:37 AM

What sweet stories and memories! I have Mother's Featherweight, tomato pincushion, and a large box of embroidery floss. I also have an old carved front narrow drawer, probably from an old treadle machine, that I bought years ago at an antique store. I put odds and ends of small stuff I use all time in it and keep it on a shelf in the bookcase in my sewing room.