Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Trip to U.S.A. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/trip-u-s-t235789.html)

Quilter qld 11-30-2013 04:49 PM

Trip to U.S.A.

Hi All,
My DH and I are planning trip to the states next year. We are going to do Route 66 on Motor bikes. We are both retired (over60) and would love any tips or places to visit along the way. I all so hope to visit a few quilt shop so any tips on the best to see would great. Thanks in advance.
Cheers :D

nvb50 11-30-2013 06:12 PM

Fox Developmental Center in Dwight, Illinois. On the second floor they have a special kind of stain glass windows that you can not see from the outside.

ro 11-30-2013 06:22 PM

there is a middle of the country yard sale. dont know when it is. try searching largest garage sale or something like that. might be fun.

Jackie Spencer 11-30-2013 08:07 PM

48 years ago when my husband and I were first married, we lived in California and used to take Rt. 66 every summer back east on vacation. back then there was a lot to stop and see along the way, all kinds of small businesses, and tourist attractions. Hope you have a wonderful time while your here!

DogHouseMom 11-30-2013 09:00 PM

QLD ... are you doing it alone or going with Eagle Riders? Friends of ours from England did the R66 trip on rented Harley's with ER and loved it!!

You will be going within 2 blocks of my house :)

Jingle 11-30-2013 10:16 PM

We rode on Route 66 going from St. Louis to Route 48 to Decatur, IL. to visit my family. We made the trip lots of times.It was a 4 hour drive then, much shorter with Hwy. 55. I have no family there now, haven't for lots of years.

I hope you enjoy your trip. Route 66 is cut into pieces after the interstate system was implemented.

granny64 12-01-2013 04:14 AM

U.S. is a beautiful country, but every part of God's world is beautiful in its own way. Have fun and enjoy our beautiful country.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-01-2013 06:36 AM

The iconic Ariston Café in Litchfield, IL is a popular stop on Route 66 and they've opened a Route 66 museum right across the street from it. Litchfield also has one of the last remaining drive-ins on Route 66 and has classic car shows at it every year.

You might also look into Niehaus Cycles Customer Appreciate Days in Litchfield. It is generally in May. It is a HUGE gathering on motorcycles from all over everywhere. They have a beautiful parade of bikes and other activities.

Also, Country Classic cars is a fun place to stop and stretch your legs. It is a car dealership that sells nothing but classics. I love to look at those cars.

MissQuilter 12-01-2013 06:52 AM

There is a guide book of quilt shops that I carry in my car. I have found some amazing places during my travels. You might google it, and it could be on the internet. Also, just google "quilt shops, Illinois" and you might get a listing. What fun... That sounds like a wonderful adventure!

Janette 12-01-2013 07:40 AM

Haven't lived in Amarillo, TX for a while but 66 used to go through the old part of Amarillo. Check out some of the clubs where the cowboys go. Sign will ask gentlemen to remove their hats and the furniture is bolted to the floor. 20 miles outside of Amarillo, on an interstate, is Canyon, TX. Check out Palo Duro Canyon, a few miles outside of Canyon. It is a miniature Grand Canyon and a state park and is a fantastic place to visit. You can camp there. In the summer it has a wonderful musical western show in a natural amphitheatre.