Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Twilight Saga (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/twilight-saga-t28843.html)

MNQuilter 11-16-2009 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Love the books. I am waiting for Breaking Dawn to come out in trade paperback.

I read at least 2 books a week. I like to mix it up. Something deep, then something funny, then a mystery and love all of the quilt novels. There are so many good writers out there that are also quilters. The only thing I don't read are romance novels, just not my cup of tea. Although I have read Three Cup of Tea, a grea non-fiction.

I loved Three Cups of Tea, totally agree that it is a great story. I also have a personal connection to the book. The author, Greg Mortenson, is the brother of one of my now former coworkers. It was kind of strange to read the book and read things where he talks about his family and growing up and in this way learn about someone you've worked with for almost 2 years! I kind of felt like I had found her diary from when she was a kid! It is amazing how one person really can make big changes in the world!

sewjoyce 11-16-2009 03:40 PM

I read all 4 of the twilight books. They were very entertaining and a fast read!! My daughter read them as well and now, that the movies are coming out, my granddaughter is reading them.... :D

shaverg 11-16-2009 03:46 PM

I could not believe I would enjoy them as much as I did. They were really a fast read for me. One of the reasons I liked them so well. Is because I have been to that Forks area of Washington and I could picture the area while I was reading.

fluffbug95 11-16-2009 04:40 PM

I read the whole series in about a day after I bought each book! I loved the books so much! :mrgreen: They were good to read! I loved them! :)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-16-2009 07:33 PM

Here in our podunk town the theater decided to do a midnight showing for New Moon. It sold out in 2 hours so they added a 3 a.m. showing and IT SOLD OUT! I can't believe that many people want to see the movie on the first night. It boggles the mind.

Of course, it would probably boggle many of your minds to find out movies here are only $5 and that includes a small popcorn and soda. (At the 3 a.m. showing they are having hash browns and OJ.) I always need CPR when I see movie prices in real towns.

May in Jersey 11-16-2009 08:23 PM

13 year granddaughter lent me her copy to read on my flight from CA back to Jersey. My impression of the book/series is that it's perfect teenage girl reading, "But Mom, I love him, he's so cute and a vampire too, sigh"

Will look into Three Cup of Tea, sounds like a perfect book for my Story Weavers small quilt group. We each read the same book and make a quilt or wall hanging inspired by something in the book. May in Jersey

littlehud 11-16-2009 09:02 PM

I have read the series and would read them again.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-17-2009 04:48 AM

May, your story weavers group sounds like fun. Kind of a combination quilt guild/book club. What a great idea!!

Rose Hall 11-17-2009 04:56 AM

Will look into Three Cup of Tea, sounds like a perfect book for my Story Weavers small quilt group. We each read the same book and make a quilt or wall hanging inspired by something in the book. May in Jersey[/quote]

I LOVE the idea of reading a book and then making a quilt inspired for it. My guild is always looking for a new challenge and this sounds PERFECT!!!

Rose Hall

blueribbontoes 11-17-2009 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I've read into a couple books in this series, but...sorry I'm just not that impressed with them. Bella to me is just too much of a throwback to the "oh, male hero of the story will save me because I'm just a helpless Mary Jane silly female".

I was intrigued with the premise of the The Host. Plot (as listed on amazon.com) - A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing.

AMEN! I HATED, sorry!, The Twilight series. I am too much of a feminist to really enjoy any story that has a girl contemplate suicide because a boy broke up with her... but this is just my opinion. There are soooo many great books out there for young people that have better messages. I did enjoy the Host very much.