Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: Twilight Saga

  1. #1
    Senior Member ddrobins1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    356
    Who else has been reading the Twiligt series by Stephanie Meyers. I'm so hooked on these books. I can't stop reading them. My gr. daughter loaned me the four book set, she said I would like them. I really didn't think too much about reading them, until oneday I had nothing else to read and started on the first book, Twilight, I really love them. They are very romantic and appealing.
    I saw Stephanie Meyers on Oprah and she was taking about how these books came about. It all started with a vivid dream she had about a young girl who meets a beautiful boy, who just happend to be a vampire. What a dream, eh?
    Anyway, if you want a really good read, that takes you away for awhile. Give this series atry. I thought they were maybe too juvenile, but really they are for all ages.

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have heard about these and they are on my "reading" list 8)

  3. #3
    MNQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    694
    I read the series for the first time this summer and have since read them a second time. I haven't seen the movie yet, but my sister is bringing Twilight when she comes for my son's birthday party this weekend, and I am going to see New Dawn with her next Monday. They are very good books.

    So my question for any Twilight readers is this: Are you an Edward fan or Jacob fan?

    I personally LOVE Jacob! He reminds me of a couple of guys I was friends with years ago!

  4. #4
    MNQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    694
    It was supposed to be "New Moon" not New Dawn! I think I need to go take a nap :oops:

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    642
    I tried the first book, and thought it was awful. Sorry.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Chrys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    somewhere in the USA
    Posts
    800
    Love the books! Read them all! Oh, and I'm Team Edward! :) :)

  7. #7
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    Love the books. I am waiting for Breaking Dawn to come out in trade paperback.

    I read at least 2 books a week. I like to mix it up. Something deep, then something funny, then a mystery and love all of the quilt novels. There are so many good writers out there that are also quilters. The only thing I don't read are romance novels, just not my cup of tea. Although I have read Three Cup of Tea, a grea non-fiction.

  8. #8
    Super Member azdesertrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    tucson Az
    Posts
    1,124
    my daughter has read all of them also,she is going o see the movie New MOon,I think, it comes out this thurs nite at midnite.she and her english teacher are going to see it, she is hooked on them also,and there is another series about vampires on HBO called True Blood they like to watch

  9. #9
    Super Member Crafty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,321
    Blog Entries
    1
    I haven't read the books, but my 11 year daughter has read all the books within a month. She is so hooked it's not even funny. We've watched Twilight at least 20 times and she can't wait till New Moon. I made this handbag for her bday.

    Front side
    Name:  Attachment-56534.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  53.1 KB

    Back side
    Name:  Attachment-56535.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  53.0 KB

  10. #10
    Super Member redkimba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    1,725
    I've read into a couple books in this series, but...sorry I'm just not that impressed with them. Bella to me is just too much of a throwback to the "oh, male hero of the story will save me because I'm just a helpless Mary Jane silly female".

    I was intrigued with the premise of the The Host. Plot (as listed on amazon.com) - A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing.

  11. #11
    MNQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Love the books. I am waiting for Breaking Dawn to come out in trade paperback.

    I read at least 2 books a week. I like to mix it up. Something deep, then something funny, then a mystery and love all of the quilt novels. There are so many good writers out there that are also quilters. The only thing I don't read are romance novels, just not my cup of tea. Although I have read Three Cup of Tea, a grea non-fiction.
    I loved Three Cups of Tea, totally agree that it is a great story. I also have a personal connection to the book. The author, Greg Mortenson, is the brother of one of my now former coworkers. It was kind of strange to read the book and read things where he talks about his family and growing up and in this way learn about someone you've worked with for almost 2 years! I kind of felt like I had found her diary from when she was a kid! It is amazing how one person really can make big changes in the world!

  12. #12
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    I read all 4 of the twilight books. They were very entertaining and a fast read!! My daughter read them as well and now, that the movies are coming out, my granddaughter is reading them.... :D


  13. #13
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I could not believe I would enjoy them as much as I did. They were really a fast read for me. One of the reasons I liked them so well. Is because I have been to that Forks area of Washington and I could picture the area while I was reading.

  14. #14
    fluffbug95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, NY
    Posts
    469
    I read the whole series in about a day after I bought each book! I loved the books so much! :mrgreen: They were good to read! I loved them! :)

  15. #15
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here in our podunk town the theater decided to do a midnight showing for New Moon. It sold out in 2 hours so they added a 3 a.m. showing and IT SOLD OUT! I can't believe that many people want to see the movie on the first night. It boggles the mind.

    Of course, it would probably boggle many of your minds to find out movies here are only $5 and that includes a small popcorn and soda. (At the 3 a.m. showing they are having hash browns and OJ.) I always need CPR when I see movie prices in real towns.

  16. #16
    Super Member May in Jersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,549
    13 year granddaughter lent me her copy to read on my flight from CA back to Jersey. My impression of the book/series is that it's perfect teenage girl reading, "But Mom, I love him, he's so cute and a vampire too, sigh"

    Will look into Three Cup of Tea, sounds like a perfect book for my Story Weavers small quilt group. We each read the same book and make a quilt or wall hanging inspired by something in the book. May in Jersey

  17. #17
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I have read the series and would read them again.

  18. #18
    Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The middle of an IL cornfield
    Posts
    7,024
    Blog Entries
    1
    May, your story weavers group sounds like fun. Kind of a combination quilt guild/book club. What a great idea!!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Rose Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    758


    Will look into Three Cup of Tea, sounds like a perfect book for my Story Weavers small quilt group. We each read the same book and make a quilt or wall hanging inspired by something in the book. May in Jersey[/quote]


    I LOVE the idea of reading a book and then making a quilt inspired for it. My guild is always looking for a new challenge and this sounds PERFECT!!!

    Rose Hall


  20. #20
    blueribbontoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,082
    Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    I've read into a couple books in this series, but...sorry I'm just not that impressed with them. Bella to me is just too much of a throwback to the "oh, male hero of the story will save me because I'm just a helpless Mary Jane silly female".

    I was intrigued with the premise of the The Host. Plot (as listed on amazon.com) - A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing.
    AMEN! I HATED, sorry!, The Twilight series. I am too much of a feminist to really enjoy any story that has a girl contemplate suicide because a boy broke up with her... but this is just my opinion. There are soooo many great books out there for young people that have better messages. I did enjoy the Host very much.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    i just finished the last one a couple weeks ago and i'm almost tempted to start over again. They are sooooooo good. I couldn't put them down PS. The reason she wanted to die was so she could live forever and be with Edward. NOT because he broke up with her :cry:

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by MNQuilter
    I read the series for the first time this summer and have since read them a second time. I haven't seen the movie yet, but my sister is bringing Twilight when she comes for my son's birthday party this weekend, and I am going to see New Dawn with her next Monday. They are very good books.

    So my question for any Twilight readers is this: Are you an Edward fan or Jacob fan?

    I personally LOVE Jacob! He reminds me of a couple of guys I was friends with years ago!
    I love Edward, but I grew up with the Quiliute (La Push) Indians, so I love Jacob too. I love his smile. Ahhhh to be a few yrs younger. I'm old enough to be his mother :oops: :?

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I could not believe I would enjoy them as much as I did. They were really a fast read for me. One of the reasons I liked them so well. Is because I have been to that Forks area of Washington and I could picture the area while I was reading.
    The think that upset me in the movie was NOTHING in Port Angeles WAS Port Angeles. Oh well. I've been to Forks TONS of times and have many friends in La Push. I live here in Port Angeles so it was HOME to me to watch & read the books/movie

  24. #24
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Bev, is it ALWAYS raining where you are -- like in the books? :D

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA
    Posts
    12,753
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    Bev, is it ALWAYS raining where you are -- like in the books? :D
    No... lol I think they over exagerated that. Forks isn't too far from the rain forrest, but yeah it rains, but we get our dry spells like everyone else.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.