Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ugh... It Would Come Out Like Crap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ugh-would-come-out-like-crap-t43503.html)

sharon b 04-22-2010 07:50 AM

As long as the fit is ok.. the rest is fixable :thumbup: Trust me on this... I am making dresses for a wedding , so I know :wink:

granniebj 04-22-2010 09:33 AM

I'm sure it will look fine, and hey....ya learned something right? Yah...show pics!

kathy 04-22-2010 11:35 AM

yep, when making garments its important to have a close match in color for thread and fabric

Alu_Rathbone 04-22-2010 12:27 PM

The part where it is the worse won't looke that bad... due to an elastic that is supposed to go around there and will hopefully pull it in...

My mom said that after the dress is done we'll see if we can add something... I hope so... I'd like to cover the straps with a ruffle and the bottom too...

Plus if i have to I can always where a light sweater or something with it... I'll post pics as soon as it is done... I just need a safety pin to get that elastic through the dress...

Thank you for the suggestions! *hugs*

MadQuilter 04-22-2010 02:08 PM

The fact that the first dress you ever made fits = kudos to you. Many people make a sample out of muslin to work out the kinks. Could you consider this one your trial piece and do it over with all the right trimmings?

Alu_Rathbone 04-22-2010 02:20 PM

I don't really have the pattern pieces anymore... but I may buy another one... I'm not sure yet.

ceegee 04-23-2010 06:27 AM

I'm afraid to even try ! great beginnings
ceegee

Gwyn 04-23-2010 10:47 AM

What happened to the pattern pieces?

Alu_Rathbone 04-23-2010 11:57 AM

Thin paper + cats + crinkly noise = shredded pattern

Gwyn 04-23-2010 05:29 PM

Okay. You may be ahead to use this dress as a pattern from now on. I usually only cut out a pattern once and then do all my adjusting. When I finally get the pattern dress adjusted, I cut out the actual dress material. That way, this experience won't be a waste. I wish you lived closer so I could help more.

When I made Margaret's wedding dress, the pattern was a size 18. Margaret is a big lady (4-5X). I adjusted the pattern adding extra space to what was there. Then I cut it out in a cheep fabric. We adjusted it, took it apart and I used the adjusted pattern in some more cheep fabric. For the final fit dress, I cut the fabric I was using as a lining and stitched it together. I had to adjust the waist just a bit, but then I used the lining fabric to cut the satin out of. Attaching the lining to each piece gave me an actual stitching line to follow. It worked so well I even used the second trial dress pieces to cut out a jacket to go over the short sleeves so she could wear the dress in the temple (she is LDS). Eventually I made her several of these dresses for church, using the same pattern pieces I had created to fit her wedding dress.

Our Walmart sells curtain lining which is white, 90" wide and cotton for !1.00 per yard. I just order it by the bolt. Before Randy died I had made him a new sport coat and dress shirts using this same method. Come to think of it, he never actually wore that sport coat or shirt...