Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Unexpected gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/unexpected-gift-t277014.html)

tessagin 03-24-2016 05:28 AM

I totally agree. 6 years a long time for a device especially if used often. Often these are recycled for others in less fortunate circumstances for just certain uses such as teachers in 3rd world countries.

Originally Posted by OhCanada (Post 7503069)
With laptops, smartphones, computers and tablets the operating systems and software get constantly updated and after a few years the hardware just is not powerful enough to make the device useable any longer. I'm not one to desire the newest phone, computer, cars etc, but I too have experienced what Jeanann did with her iPad. There comes a point where it crashes and freezes all the time and the battery just won't last.

I'd say she did well hanging onto her 1st generation iPad for this long.

ManiacQuilter2 03-24-2016 06:33 AM

Certainly he is a keeper. Enjoy your new ipad! :)

Doggramma 03-24-2016 07:19 AM

Nice! The Pro is really nice but I couldn't justify the cost. I just upgraded though to an iPad Air for the same slow reason. I needed more space for all my photos and games!

ontheriver 03-24-2016 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7503230)
I totally agree. 6 years a long time for a device especially if used often. Often these are recycled for others in less fortunate circumstances for just certain uses such as teachers in 3rd world countries.

I did use often, practically every day, since I don't have a computer. I read on it, keep patterns and photos, surf the web, message with family, email, banking, sometimes play games. Indispensable to me.

notmorecraft 03-24-2016 11:29 AM

Devices like pc, laptops, iPads, tablets etc are actually all obsolete when they hit the stores as the next newer generation is already at the test stage before it hits the stores, it's not so much a throw away thing as the fact that technology is being developed and tested everyday to become better, and more efficient.

notmorecraft 03-24-2016 11:31 AM

Forgot to say, your husbands is a darling:thumbup:

Geri B 03-25-2016 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 7503346)
Nice! The Pro is really nice but I couldn't justify the cost. I just upgraded though to an iPad Air for the same slow reason. I needed more space for all my photos and games!

I am really a dumbly about devices, but isn't that what the "cloud" is for...to keep whatever device involved from getting "full"? I have an old kindle,laptop,desktop,iPad, smart phone, and just bought a fire. To be honest I do not use any of these to their fill capabilities......I don't do any banking, very little shopping, have two games-scrabble and solitaire, and of course this board. Oh, I sometimes search a recipe. I dislike Pinterest, so although dd has created an account and I get daily emails I usually delete. This morning I tried using the fire.....I think I need someone to sit next to me and show me what to do..reading directions/instructions on screen just doesn't work well for me. I guess I am really a Luddite.....

fayeberry 03-25-2016 01:02 PM

Let us know how you like the new one. My I pad is 5+ years old and getting harder to use, won't take up dates, can't use for Pinterest.....I hate to get another, but thinking.....

labtechkty 03-25-2016 04:53 PM

My husband got me a pro for Christmas and I love it...I hope you enjoy yours too.

OhCanada 03-26-2016 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7504280)
I am really a dumbly about devices, but isn't that what the "cloud" is for...to keep whatever device involved from getting "full"? I have an old kindle,laptop,desktop,iPad, smart phone, and just bought a fire. To be honest I do not use any of these to their fill capabilities......I don't do any banking, very little shopping, have two games-scrabble and solitaire, and of course this board. Oh, I sometimes search a recipe. I dislike Pinterest, so although dd has created an account and I get daily emails I usually delete. This morning I tried using the fire.....I think I need someone to sit next to me and show me what to do..reading directions/instructions on screen just doesn't work well for me. I guess I am really a Luddite.....

Yes, the cloud is for storing photos and files. However some people like to have all that stored locally on their device rather than in the cloud. I love my iPad for reading and researching. For example, all the recipes for Easter dinner were sourced online. I do all my banking online and I stream advertisement free radio using my iPad - I can direct the sound to nice wireless speakers using my iPad as well. One of my very favourite things is to listen to music while I quilt.