Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Unexpected gift

Unexpected gift

I have been using my first generation iPad for about 6 years now, it's getting slow and I am no longer able to update it. I took my sweetie to Best Buy tonight to drop off his computer for repair and I was killing time playing with the iPad's on display. He came over and asked which one I liked and bought me an iPad pro!!!! I was stunned, this is such a splurge for us, he is a keeper for sure. So excited I just had to share.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Awwww, what a SWEET guy! Congratulations!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Wonderful!! A real keeper for sure!
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    We sure are a threw away society.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    With laptops, smartphones, computers and tablets the operating systems and software get constantly updated and after a few years the hardware just is not powerful enough to make the device useable any longer. I'm not one to desire the newest phone, computer, cars etc, but I too have experienced what Jeanann did with her iPad. There comes a point where it crashes and freezes all the time and the battery just won't last.

I'd say she did well hanging onto her 1st generation iPad for this long.
    Valerie

How sweet.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    Obsolescence is manufactured in. Like it or not. It is all about $$$ and the consumers "wants".

I had to replace my Ipad 2 fir the same reason. Love my Mini! I uooed my storage option.

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

What a thoughtful husband! I hope you enjoy your new iPad.

Power Poster
    Well the Easter Bunny put an extra nice gift in your basket this year!

Oh, oh, I just updated my iPad....I think it's a second generation. I hope it lasts a long time...I really don't want to put out what the cost of the new gadget is.......

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree. 6 years a long time for a device especially if used often. Often these are recycled for others in less fortunate circumstances for just certain uses such as teachers in 3rd world countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
    With laptops, smartphones, computers and tablets the operating systems and software get constantly updated and after a few years the hardware just is not powerful enough to make the device useable any longer. I'm not one to desire the newest phone, computer, cars etc, but I too have experienced what Jeanann did with her iPad. There comes a point where it crashes and freezes all the time and the battery just won't last.

I'd say she did well hanging onto her 1st generation iPad for this long.

Certainly he is a keeper. Enjoy your new ipad!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Nice! The Pro is really nice but I couldn't justify the cost. I just upgraded though to an iPad Air for the same slow reason. I needed more space for all my photos and games!
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I totally agree. 6 years a long time for a device especially if used often. Often these are recycled for others in less fortunate circumstances for just certain uses such as teachers in 3rd world countries.
    I did use often, practically every day, since I don't have a computer. I read on it, keep patterns and photos, surf the web, message with family, email, banking, sometimes play games. Indispensable to me.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Devices like pc, laptops, iPads, tablets etc are actually all obsolete when they hit the stores as the next newer generation is already at the test stage before it hits the stores, it's not so much a throw away thing as the fact that technology is being developed and tested everyday to become better, and more efficient.

Forgot to say, your husbands is a darling

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    Nice! The Pro is really nice but I couldn't justify the cost. I just upgraded though to an iPad Air for the same slow reason. I needed more space for all my photos and games!
    I am really a dumbly about devices, but isn't that what the "cloud" is for...to keep whatever device involved from getting "full"? I have an old kindle,laptop,desktop,iPad, smart phone, and just bought a fire. To be honest I do not use any of these to their fill capabilities......I don't do any banking, very little shopping, have two games-scrabble and solitaire, and of course this board. Oh, I sometimes search a recipe. I dislike Pinterest, so although dd has created an account and I get daily emails I usually delete. This morning I tried using the fire.....I think I need someone to sit next to me and show me what to do..reading directions/instructions on screen just doesn't work well for me. I guess I am really a Luddite.....

Let us know how you like the new one. My I pad is 5+ years old and getting harder to use, won't take up dates, can't use for Pinterest.....I hate to get another, but thinking.....

My husband got me a pro for Christmas and I love it...I hope you enjoy yours too.
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I am really a dumbly about devices, but isn't that what the "cloud" is for...to keep whatever device involved from getting "full"? I have an old kindle,laptop,desktop,iPad, smart phone, and just bought a fire. To be honest I do not use any of these to their fill capabilities......I don't do any banking, very little shopping, have two games-scrabble and solitaire, and of course this board. Oh, I sometimes search a recipe. I dislike Pinterest, so although dd has created an account and I get daily emails I usually delete. This morning I tried using the fire.....I think I need someone to sit next to me and show me what to do..reading directions/instructions on screen just doesn't work well for me. I guess I am really a Luddite.....
    Yes, the cloud is for storing photos and files. However some people like to have all that stored locally on their device rather than in the cloud. I love my iPad for reading and researching. For example, all the recipes for Easter dinner were sourced online. I do all my banking online and I stream advertisement free radio using my iPad - I can direct the sound to nice wireless speakers using my iPad as well. One of my very favourite things is to listen to music while I quilt.
    Valerie

Power Poster
    Great gift....enjoy...