Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Upholstery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/upholstery-t282249.html)

sinceresissy 09-17-2016 04:55 AM

Upholstery

What does anyone know about having furniture reupholstered. I recently had some furniture done and they used the old cushions. I told the in between girl be sure that I get new cushions and she agreed but now that I have the couch back it doesn't look right and when I called the in-between girl she called the upholsters and they said they reused the cushions because they were in good shape. I have known of people getting upholstery done and never heard of using the old cushions. I am beside myself and now they are saying I need to pay $65.00 more per cushion if I want them to put new cushions in. I am going to do that but this all doesn't seem right. I was quoted a price for getting my furniture done and I thought that was with new cushions. Who would use old cushions? This furniture was bought new in 1989 and was suppose to be really good furniture and it fits our small house but it is old furniture. I was trying to avoid shopping and needed help picking material out that is one reason I went for upholstery. I guess I should call the in-between girl interior decorator. Would like to hear your opinions.

nativetexan 09-17-2016 06:00 AM

I think some people do use old cushions if they are in good shape. They should have asked you that. I"m about to see what the movers will do about my sofa. They ruined it on the back rest and it's new!!! good luck.

canmitch1971 09-17-2016 07:34 AM

Years ago I took upholstery classes and they always reused the old cushions but they put extra padding in to make them plusher. The old cushions are usually ok.

barny 09-17-2016 08:06 AM

Just me. But I would want new cushions. I know my cushions are old and they rot inside, if it is foam. Got some that need replaced. My dining room chair cushions feel like I'm sitting on the wood. LOL

tranum 09-17-2016 08:22 AM

From this day forward: get a itemized quote in writing.

Chasing Hawk 09-17-2016 08:27 AM

It depends, foam costs money, new foam for the cushions is usually not part of the reupholstery job. When I was in business my policy was to examine the cushions while I was bidding the job.
If the foam was in good shape we would wrap them in a layer of Dacron. On the chance they foam was not going to last I would inform them and price new foam and get the okay to replace it at the customers expense.

Your Decorator should have known this before hand. Having worked with numerous Decorators in the past informing them to let the customer know about reusing the foam cushions. And if they want new foam to call and get a quote from me.

paoberle 09-18-2016 02:47 AM

Do you have anything in writing spelling out what was to be done? New cushions are not automatically part of a reupholstering. Go buy some high loft batting and wrap your cushions.

NJ Quilter 09-18-2016 03:34 AM

I've had pieces done both ways...cushions replaced; cushions not replaced. But in all cases, have always known what I was paying for; getting. You should have gotten an itemized quote from the interior decorator specifying what work was to be done.

Snooze2978 09-18-2016 04:26 AM

Nativetexan, keep after your movers or they'll forget about it or try to get out of it. When I had my furniture put into storage, the movers dropped my armoire and they stated they would have it fixed before moving it to my new house. They never did. Once all was moved, I found an antique table with its leg ripped off, more damage to the armoire and I'm still thinking a box or two are missing. After getting everything moved into the new house I was too frazzled to bother with filling out a form to have the damage fixed and probably fighting with the company too. I just let it slide. So much for "professional" movers.

sinceresissy 09-18-2016 04:55 AM

My decorator came by and looked at the furniture and said she would get with the upholsterers and see about getting new cushions. She said this was the first time she had used this particular upholsterer and in the past new cushions were always part of the job. I really want new cushions even if I have to pay more. Part of upholstering the furniture is to replace 30 year old cushions. If your mattress gets mites and things living in it, wouldn't that be the same with cushions? I am old enough to know I should have gotten a written contract but I didn't. Anyone, I knew that had gotten upholstering done had gotten new cushions. I am glad for every one's input. Hope I can remember the next I get a job done is to get it in writing. Silly me!