Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Useless Kitchen Items (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/useless-kitchen-items-t265062.html)

Stitchnripper 05-12-2015 06:33 AM

Onebyone, you have better self control than I do! Those six loaves of bread would be gone as fast as I could spread butter on them!!!!

frenan 05-12-2015 08:14 AM

My salad spritzer. I was going to be so good about not using too much dressing. I plugged it up the first time I used it. I didn't read the directions..........no herbs or seasonings allowed. Not a fan of just oil and vinegar. I never could get it unplugged to use for something else.

tessagin 05-12-2015 08:28 AM

We have 3 sets of china and what I got after high school has been in the box because I keep forgetting it's there. We eat on paper plates. Ok please don't want to hear from the recycle police. Next time I go up north going to give it to one of the boys.

Originally Posted by teddy300 (Post 7192660)
I have my "good China" from 1970. Decided that we were good enough for it since I no longer entertain, so it has become by every day chine. At least I now get some enjoyment from it.

plhooyer 05-12-2015 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7192176)
I picked up one of these somewhere in my flea market days and could not figure out what it was. Later I found it is a "flour wand", for sprinkling flour over your work surface when rolling out dough or such. I guess for people with no fingers?

I use that tool to sprinkle confectioner's sugar on cookies and cakes. You just dip it into the sugar and then sprinkle away!

madamekelly 05-12-2015 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pam S (Post 7192782)
Did you send #3 to DDs too?!!

Yes, I did, but they keep sending him back saying he eats too much and makes really bad corny jokes! Lol!

Elaine433 05-12-2015 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pudge (Post 7191966)
High on my list of dumb kitchen items is the sideless cookie sheet I recently puchased. I can't easily grab the pan when I take it out of the oven. Why the heck did I buy it?

What kitchen item have you purchased that turned out to be of no help?

I have had sideless cookie sheets, made by ware ever, since the 1960's . I love them and can never find them anymore. One of the things I use them for is pizza...getting it on and off of the pizza stone. I use parchment under the dough and it slides right off. I also use them when I make a gingerbread house. I roll the dough right on the sheet and can slide the baked pieces off easily. I still find it better for cookies than the rimmed sheets.

Onebyone 05-12-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7193386)
We have 3 sets of china and what I got after high school has been in the box because I keep forgetting it's there. We eat on paper plates. Ok please don't want to hear from the recycle police. Next time I go up north going to give it to one of the boys.

I use disposables whenever possible. I detest after meal clean up especially on holidays. The only real thing we use for dinnerware is good coffee cups. I save on energy and water cost, not washing dishes. I did my own research. Six months all disposables, six months using dishes that had to be washed. The water and electric bill went up more then the cost of the disposables. It's a catch 22 so I do what is easier and cheaper for me.

janjj 05-12-2015 10:05 AM

WOW ! My daughter asked me awhile back 'mom, do you really need all this stuff?" So I began purging. I love my magic bullet, easy to use and clean and small enough to leave on my counter so it is handy. I moved my bread machine to my counter thinking it would encourage me to use it more often. Well, that has not happened. My good dishes are seldom used. one of my mothers sets I inherited went to my son and DIL. The round rubber things that help open jars we received from the local elevator from the owner whose name is Ole. so all our family calls them their Ole ! Years ago I had a set of Wearever pans and with them came an item that I use to pick up hot pans (I freeze soup in small stainless steel pans and then heat them in a larger pan with boiling water it makes fixing a meal easy). I ended up with an extra one so when a friends son has a fire and lost much of his stuff I put the extra one in with lots of other stuff. She said it was so much fun watching him go through the boxes kind of like Christmas for him.
I gave away some white Correelle cups, the ones that are a bit small and the handle does not completely close on the cup. After that I found the saucers and would have liked the cups back as I would then make pincushions out of them. and since they were white I could make the pincushions in various colors and would give them as gifts. I would glue the cup to the saucer, kind of like the garden art things I make. I had given them to a place called Opportunity Villiage so went back to buy them back but they were gone. Oh well.

Onebyone 05-12-2015 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 7193249)
Onebyone, you have better self control than I do! Those six loaves of bread would be gone as fast as I could spread butter on them!!!!

No, I don't bake them all at once. I keep the dough frozen to bake as needed. It really saves money and tastes so much better. Bread here is about $3 for good tasting bread. I can make it for about .55 a loaf or pan of rolls even using organic flour.

ligia 05-12-2015 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by patski (Post 7191985)
watermelon slicer! ......

Itīs so funny ! ;)