Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless Kitchen Items

Useless Kitchen Items

High on my list of dumb kitchen items is the sideless cookie sheet I recently puchased. I can't easily grab the pan when I take it out of the oven. Why the heck did I buy it?

What kitchen item have you purchased that turned out to be of no help?

Blog Entries
    watermelon slicer! Even hubby could not cut with it! I donate all "useless" items to a thrift shop so I don't have to remember them all!!
    Patski
    always learning

Wow, never heard of a watermelon slicer. I'm with you, the cookie sheet is going to the GW store. Along with the plastic garlic crusher.

Blog Entries
    I love my watermelon cutter. Red and green

Blog Entries
    hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm the most useless item in the kitchen might be me............
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Good one miriam! LOL
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I picked up one of these somewhere in my flea market days and could not figure out what it was. Later I found it is a "flour wand", for sprinkling flour over your work surface when rolling out dough or such. I guess for people with no fingers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some of my used often items are now useless to me because I don't cook like I use to. Otherwise they are really useful. I will keep them and let the kids and oldest Granddaughter go through them when I'm gone.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    High on my list of dumb kitchen items is the sideless cookie sheet I recently puchased. I can't easily grab the pan when I take it out of the oven. Why the heck did I buy it?

My favorite one is the " left handed potato peeler". hehehhe I kept my right hand one so my left hand grand daughter could use it. hehehehe
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

All my kids are grown and gone, no more big family dinners at my house. So my big old roasting pans, cast iron stuff (too heavy), dutch oven, big crock pots, anything that holds more than enough for two people is going. I started cleaning out the cupboards last week. Amazing how much space I now have. All but one cookie sheet and muffin tin are going also. I don't bake cakes or pies anymore either. For two of us I just buy dessert. If I go to a potluck and need a dessert I just buy one.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Our new Sabatier Knife set. Worthless pieces of knives I have ever owned. They can't even cut room temp butter. Called to complain about the set. They said send them back at our cost for shipping. We took the whole set to a knife sharpener guy and he said they were the worst knives he's ever had to sharpen. He's thinking of refusing Sabatier all together in the future. They rust quickly. Don't dare leave them overnight in flatware drainer blade up. I dry as soon as they cleaned and they still rust. Dug out my old knives. DH thought I donated them to GW. Donating the Sabatier.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    hhhhhmmmmmmmmmm the most useless item in the kitchen might be me............
    That is ME TOO !! I never really learn to cook but then my Mom wasn't that great of a cook either.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    I am very fond of my sideless cookie sheets -

Probably least used - my "good set of dishes" - I don't remember the last time I used them.

Does the stove count?.......

Seriously, the mini food processor that came with my blender. My Ninja food chopper does a better job.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    The pampered chef cheese grater that has a handle that turns. If your cheese isn't almost frozen, it just jams up in there.
    Most useful thing; that little flimsy ruberry round disk to help me open jars.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

I have to chime in here at the risk of making myself look like an idiot. The most worthless item I ever purchased was a set of "Eggies". They are little egg-shaped containers that you put egg beaters in, and then boil them, to make faux hard-boiled eggs. I was thinking less calories and cholesterol at the time, that's my only defense. The things never worked - they either fell apart in the boiling water, or the egg beaters oozed out the sides. At least I only wasted ten bucks on them.

You sound like me.

Blog Entries
    Mine is the juicer. used it at first, but now i's never seen fruit in awhile. I'd rather eat it than juice it now adays for the price of the fruit.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Mine is the juicer. used it at first, but now i's never seen fruit in awhile. I'd rather eat it than juice it now adays for the price of the fruit.
    Oh yeah! Forgot that one DH just thought we really needed it til he found out how many oranges it took to get 4 ounces of juice. Not sure what happened to it. May have accidentally gone to the curb. I have a set of good china from high school never used. Not throwing it out though!!

Blog Entries
    WOW How funny this came up today. I was putting dishes away last night and I could not believe how much of it was now useless. It's just me now I really do not need or use 90% of whats in the kitchen. So I decided this year I will be having a yard sale. I will be keeping my micro wave -toaster- el.can opener and 1 coffee maker. Maybe 1 crock pot. And the clean out will not stop in the kitchen. I don't plan on down sizing the house just the contents.My goal is 2 medium size totes of kitchen items will stay the other 2 truck loads go. The clean out will not stop with the kitchen and it will NOT include my sewing room-every thing in there is necessary.

About once a year I try to clean out my cupboards and my kitchen drawers. I get rid of a lot of things {useless, had to have stuff} and when I try to put the keep stuff back it seems like I have less room than before. Don't know how that happens!

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I picked up one of these somewhere in my flea market days and could not figure out what it was. Later I found it is a "flour wand", for sprinkling flour over your work surface when rolling out dough or such. I guess for people with no fingers?
    I have one of these and use it often! Learned about it watching Father Dom on PBS (Breaking Bread with Father Dom). It provides a more consistent, less heavy dusting of flour than I get using my hands (though I still do that sometimes). I won't say I can't live without it, but I wouldn't get rid of it either.

I moved a few years ago and actually got rid of lots of gadgets and duplicate what-nots. Haven't missed any of it!

NO!!!! don't throw it out!!!!
    yep it's useless for it's intended use but I found a great way to use mine.
    I flattened the out edges so it was completely flattened and covered it with contact paper and it's a great magnetic board.
    Then I bought some small metal round containers and put some button type magnets inside, added my spices into the containers and now I have a very pretty place to store all my spices, which makes them easier to get to without having to dig around looking for them on a shelf.
    here's a picture of it mounted under my cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
    NO!!!! don't throw it out!!!!
    yep it's useless for it's intended use but I found a great way to use mine.
    I flattened the out edges so it was completely flattened and covered it with contact paper and it's a great magnetic board.
    Then I bought some small metal round containers and put some button type magnets inside, added my spices into the containers and now I have a very pretty place to store all my spices, which makes them easier to get to without having to dig around looking for them on a shelf.
    here's a picture of it mounted under my cabinet
    What a great idea!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast