Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless Kitchen Items

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I picked up one of these somewhere in my flea market days and could not figure out what it was. Later I found it is a "flour wand", for sprinkling flour over your work surface when rolling out dough or such. I guess for people with no fingers?
    Hahaha...so funny!

Sometimes I'll pull something out of the drawer and I can't remember what you're supposed to do with it
    Lori

Ice cream keeper. Ice cream goes too fast in this house!

OMG!!! going through the same thing right now.DH passed last yr and I'm getting my place ready to sale.
    I can't believe all the "stuff" I have after 32 yrs. PLUS from my MIL too. Where I want to buy and move,well I have to sell everything!!! The place comes furnished...
    I too have one of the flour thingie.... I huge amount of just Holiday items....
    Maybe at my sale, I'll ask if they can tell me what it does, they can have it!!!! lol lol lol
    Love starts with a smile,grows with a kiss and ends with a tear
    Music is wine for the thirsty soul
    A GOOD DAY is a "SEWING DAY"

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    Oh yeah! Forgot that one DH just thought we really needed it til he found out how many oranges it took to get 4 ounces of juice. Not sure what happened to it. May have accidentally gone to the curb. I have a set of good china from high school never used. Not throwing it out though!!
    I have my "good China" from 1970. Decided that we were good enough for it since I no longer entertain, so it has become by every day chine. At least I now get some enjoyment from it.

Blog Entries
    1. The coffee cups that came with my corelle dishes.
    2. Huge stock pot. No more big soups, so....
    3. DH
    4. Quizinart
    5. Waffle iron
    6. Blender
    7. Glass pie plates
    all sent to DDs, for them to use and store.lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Good you are using it teddy300. We store our prized dishes and then when we use them one breaks or chips. Well, did you know that china dry rots and there goes grandmas gravy boat. I gave mine to my grand daughter and told her use it every day. It is so nice to see how pleased she is with it and I love that cup of coffee.

Cookie sheets with sides make it hard to get the pizza out. I use my flat one far more that I use the regular cookie sheets. But I rarely use cookie sheets --- they make such good ones at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    1. The coffee cups that came with my corelle dishes.
    2. Huge stock pot. No more big soups, so....
    3. DH
    4. Quizinart
    5. Waffle iron
    6. Blender
    7. Glass pie plates
    all sent to DDs, for them to use and store.lol!
    Did you send #3 to DDs too?!!
    People will see your quilts long after you're gone - NOT your housework!

I love the watermelon slicer. It works great on small/med size melons. I use my juicer for vegetables instead of fruit. I use the veg juice for cooking broth. My most favorite new kitchen item is the Inspiralizer, not the hand held one, the good one that stands on the counter. I love making veggie spaghetti. I use whatever makes my cooking easier and faster. I guess the no hands stirer is the most useless thing I have ever used oh and the instant whip cream maker. It works but the cartridges are hard to find.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Okay, that is just flippin' brilliant. Way to go!

Blog Entries
    Mine happens to be my darling adult children most of the time. The thrift store wouldn't take them!!
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

It makes me happy to de-clutter the kitchen & any other room........even one drawer. Most always there is more
    room for storing the things I really use. Do many of you use your bread machine?
    Pampered Chef has one thing I think every kitchen needs - ( I think it is called fix and mix.) It is
    a tool I use for cooking ground beef in the skillet. (My daughter sells PC)
    Last edited by needles3thread; 05-11-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

Probably least used - my "good set of dishes" - I don't remember the last time I used them.
    Mine too! We married in '75, and I HAD to have service for twelve!! They are still packed in the original Dayton's boxes, stored up in the attic crawl space. They have never been used!!

[QUOTE=needles3thread;7192865]
    Do many of you use your bread machine?

I use my bread machine all the time! Love it for making pizza dough, and rustic breads!

Blog Entries
    We have used our best dishes for years as our every day fair. If it was to be good enough for company, why not use it for treasured family?! DH buys interesting items once a year. This year he blew 20 bucks on a grater/ slicer. It was easy to laugh together when he asked me to put it in the donation box. We have learned that we don't have to live forever with our mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
    Do many of you use your bread machine?
    My DH makes bread and pizza dough
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

My husband had to have a food dehydrator. As I secretly predicted, it was used once. That was some pretty expensive beef jerky! No interest on my part to use that honkin' big circular waste of space. I store it on my bread machine! Lol! sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I view cooking the same way I view quilting -- it is an art form. I love having a hug pot of soup or sauce simmering on the stove for hours. I collect vintage cooking utensils -- some of them are amazing. My current favorite is a Foley Fork for mixing and mashing.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Comments on "good" dishes make me nod my head in agreement. I just can't figure out why.....

When you buy a less expensive set of everyday dishes - so you can protect your "good" dishes - you can never break the everydayers. Drop 'em on the floor, warp 'em in the microwave, etc. But take out ONE "good" dish and BAM. Your SIL manages to drop it and it's history. Happened to me 3 times. Hence those who keep their "good" dishes in the attic......

Blog Entries
    I bought an ice cream maker about five years ago when I was in Florida. Carefully brought it home as carry on luggage.......have used it once, I think. Haven't sent it to the thrift store yet......probably should try and sell it on Kijiji (like Craigslist)
    C9P aka Jan

I took all of those "foldable" cutting boards and transferred them to the craft room. They are terrible for food, I spilled too many veggies off of those things to keep them. They work alright as templates though.

I have a waffle iron that I've used maybe twice that I've been hanging onto for a couple decades. It's a nice iron; it was a wedding present from a friend who is now deceased and it's the only thing I still have from her. Silly to be sentimental about a waffle iron, but I am!

Other than that, we are pretty good in the kitchen about getting rid of non-functional things promptly. I like cooking and baking, especially in the colder part of the year, so I actually use things like my bread maker fairly regularly. I don't use my spring-form pan as often as I should, I think I need to come up with some new desserts to make in it. How's that for motivation? LOL

Gosh, I have a lot of things that I don't use. We are going to move sometime around the new year so time to purge. I guess. If the house thing goes through we will have a basement for the first time. I might keep everything. Or not.

Re: the bread machine. I would love one, but, I have just about no self control with fresh bread and I think eventually the family would have to take the walls out to get me out of the house. Watch for it on your favorite tabloid TV station - "1000 lb. quilter removed from home. Bread machine to blame".
    Alyce

We got rid of our bread machine for the same reasons stitchnripper doesn't want one. When the kids moved in we got rid of a lot of useless stuff quesadilla maker, waffle iron, steamer, extra cookware and utensils. If it didn't have a good reason for staying, it was history. Now that we've recently moved, I'm glad we purged. But, we purged even move when we moved too. Feels great having all that space in the cabinets and drawers.

I use my bread machine to mix and knead double batches of dough. I take it out and let it rise in a bowl. After first rise I shape and freeze. All I have to do is thaw and let rise again and bake. I can have six loaves of bread and rolls in the freezer in an afternoon.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast