Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Vacuum cleaner advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/vacuum-cleaner-advice-t119839.html)

Weenween 05-01-2011 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
We were cleaning house before going on vacation the week before Easter. I think my house is always cleanest right before we leave town because I can't stand coming home to a messy house! LOL. Our vacuum cleaner died just as DH was finishing up the upstairs. So, we're in the market for a vacuum. We've been home a week and NEED to vacuum!!!!! So, just wondering what advice you all might have. We have 2 dogs (one shedder, one non-shedder). We have heard great things about the Dyson model for pets, but I really hate to spring $500-600 for one vacuum cleaner! We've also seen good reviews on LG and it's not quite as pricey. But, if anyone has had great experience with a good machine, I'd like to hear about it before I head to the store.

Thanks!

Can't beat a HOOVER as for me.

Julianna 05-01-2011 06:44 AM

Check out the vacuums on Consumer Reports. They really put them to the test. We have a whole house vacuum with tubes in the walls and canister in the garage. Its great for deep cleaning, but I have a little handy vac for spots.

djmormon 05-01-2011 07:36 AM

I had a Kirby and loved.
Got a Hoover Windtunnel and hated it. Maybe it was lemon.
I have bought two Dysons and loved them.
They are worth the money.
They are expensive to repair, I hear.
I love my vacuums like I love my sewing machines.

Phyllis42 05-01-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I love, love, love my Dyson Pet Vac. It is still going strong after 6 ½ years. I would replace it in a heartbeat. I have a German Shepard,(heavy shedder) a Doberman and an Aussie (heavy shedder). Expensive, yes, but money well spent.

Ditto. I have 3 Labs, 1 Pug, 1 cat. Why I never bought a Dyson before is beyond me. Maintain as suggested in booklet and it will work hard. I had been a Hoover person. Ugh!

quiltnmom 05-01-2011 08:05 AM

I LOVE my Oreck! Automatically goes from carpet to floor! I have a yorkiepoo and no problems, but he doesn't shed much either.

bearisgray 05-01-2011 08:08 AM

A comment about cost:

Sometimes it's more economical in the long run to spend more money up front and have an appliance that lasts for a long time.

The Cost per Use formula:

Number of times used/cost to purchase and maintain

Sometimes it's less expensive in the long run to pay for a "better" machine than to buy three cheapies in the same time frame. And way less aggravating.

JulieR 05-01-2011 08:15 AM

We bought a Dyson, sent it back for a replacement (thinking we got a lemon) and finally sent it back for good - it just couldn't keep up. We have four beagles and three cats, and I vacuum every day. We test drove both Meile and Riccar, and went with the Riccar upright for performance and price. The only drawback is it's heavy, so we bought a second Riccar for the upper floors.

I know people really love their Dysons, but if I were you I'd see if I could borrow one first to make sure it really will suit your needs. Also, check in with vacuum repair folks and get their opinions on any model you're considering.

Good luck!

SandraD 05-01-2011 08:21 AM

I have a Kirby and I absolutely LOVE it - they are pricey however, I paid $1,400.00 about 8 years ago but I've never had any trouble with it. I think you can go online and look for used ones for more like $600. Well worth the price.

redvette54 05-01-2011 08:26 AM

We have 3 shedding dogs and I go thur vacuums about every 2 years, so I don't spend a lot for them. The last one I got is a Eureka Capture for pet hair. I've had it for over 2 years and it's still going. Sometimes it over-heats and quits, but I let it cool down and it starts back up. It does get up the hair. If it died today, I'd still give it great reviews as it's been abused and still working.

Nickky 05-01-2011 09:12 AM

I have a Dyson Animal vacuam..works wonderful on pet hair. Worth the money.