Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Velcro Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/velcro-question-t261068.html)

Charleen DiSante 02-11-2015 06:05 AM

I like the staple gun suggestion on the wooden frame. I have never trusted stick on Velcro where fabric comes in, always sew it on. While this may mean buying two types, it's worth it for the effect you want.

citruscountyquilter 02-11-2015 06:20 AM

I always stitch my velcro to the fabric. For your project it would depend on whether you want to take the fabric on and off the frame. If this isn't the case I would staple the fabric to the frame. It will be a lot quicker and less expensive. I would have a double thickness of fabric around the edges for strength if the fabric is thin like quilting cotton. If it is more like home decorator fabric then you could get by with single thickness. I have small hands so I have a power stapler that I use for projects but if you have enough strength in your arms and hands a non-powered staple gun works fine too.

AZ Jane 02-11-2015 09:38 AM

Adhesive will eventually fail, no matter what. So it really depends on the project.

madamekelly 02-11-2015 09:48 AM

In my experience, stick on Velcro does not hold. I have even tried the industrial type, and had to either sew or staple it to whatever I was using it on. I was afraid to try sewing it, but once I did, and realized how easy it was to sew, I use it a lot now. Iron on did not stick any better for me. Sewing through the adhesive just makes a nasty mess on your machine and the needle, Cost me a brand new Schmetz needle to learn that. No adhesive for me.

Carol34446 02-11-2015 12:13 PM

Sew on and do not try and sew adhesive, gums it all up.

quiltingshorttimer 02-11-2015 10:26 PM

For your wall project I'd staple.

Agree that sewn on Velcro the best--I use my zipper foot to make it easier.

sparkys_mom 02-12-2015 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7085158)
The stick on Velcro has never worked for me and as mentioned, do NOT try to machine sew through the adhesive. I machine sew my Velcro on. The fuzzy side I have no problem sewing on with my machine. The hook side can be a problem so I cover the hooks with a square of waxed paper and sew through it slowly. This works for me.

Good idea! I detest sewing on velcro but don't trust the stick-on.

Alice PD 02-12-2015 06:47 AM

Thank you to all of you. I am getting together with my helpers this weekend and I will let you know how it goes. I am planning to take a copy of this thread. It has been so helpful. Thank you again. Alice

gmcsewer 02-12-2015 06:55 AM

Just a note of interest. I saw a very lightweight flexible type of velcro on a wrap around towel for after baths
last year. Have been looking for it in the fabric stores, but haven't found any.

toverly 02-12-2015 07:33 AM

I always sew. The sticky never seems to hold as long as I want it to. Afterall, it is getting tugged everytime.