Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Velcro Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/velcro-question-t261068.html)

Alice PD 02-10-2015 07:37 AM

Velcro Question

Which type of application holds the best (longest, no migrating, etc) Iron on or "remove the backing" adhesive. I have heard that sewn on Velcro is quite hard to do and this is a large project. If iron on is "hands down" the best, do you have anhy tips? I'm really in the dark here. Can you trust the info on the packaging? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Alice

tessagin 02-10-2015 07:45 AM

Since it is a large project, I would sew it on. Possibly you could use the industrial strength Velcro adhesive back. it just all depends on the project. Outdoor indoor? Wearable, home décor. One thing for sure and I'm sure you wouldn't do this is to try to reinforce the adhesive back by sewing it on. Also be careful what you adhere it to.

grammy Dwynn 02-10-2015 08:24 AM

I have used adhesive back (do not remember if it was industrial strength). I would not stay stuck to the fabric ... so of course sew it down. GRRR gummed up my needle. So was not happy with it.

I do us sew on now, and no problems. IMHO it is easy to sew, the trick is to make sure and line it up.

What are you thinking of Velcro-ing? Maybe one of us has already been there. If you could expand more on your project.

Tartan 02-10-2015 08:28 AM

The stick on Velcro has never worked for me and as mentioned, do NOT try to machine sew through the adhesive. I machine sew my Velcro on. The fuzzy side I have no problem sewing on with my machine. The hook side can be a problem so I cover the hooks with a square of waxed paper and sew through it slowly. This works for me.

Trapunta 02-10-2015 08:45 AM

As others have mentioned, sew-on is the best to be sure it stays put. I use a slightly larger needle and go slowly.

Basketman 02-10-2015 08:56 AM

Yup, "stick" with the sewn down...tried the adhesive backed and it turned into a three act play that did not end well!!:(

Prism99 02-10-2015 12:18 PM

There are different strengths of Velcro adhesive. The usual ones do not stick well; however, the industrial strength ones can stick very well. You are more apt to find the industrial strength velcro in a big box hardware store. I don't think I've ever seen the industrial strength Velcro at JoAnn's or other sewing shops.

The really strong adhesive velcro will have "industrial strength" printed on the packaging.

What is the project? If the velcro will be taken apart and re-aligned on a daily basis, then even the industrial strength adhesive may not hold. Your best bet may be to purchase a small amount, then put it on your fabric and make sure it is going to hold the way you need it to hold before investing in a large amount.

Edit: I am talking about the adhesive-backed velcro. Iron-on does not come in industrial strength as far as I know. Here is a link to the type I am talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Industr...dp/B00006RSP1/

Alice PD 02-10-2015 12:26 PM

What am I planning to Velcro?.....Answer: I am going to make a fake wall. It will have a wooden frame, top, bottom and sides. It is for an area 30 ft. x 10 ft. So it will be in sections. I want the fabric to be taut, top to bottom and side to side, so I thought I would velcro it, top and bottom. The only thing in the middle will be the fabric.

Thank you all, this information is really helping!
Alice

Prism99 02-10-2015 12:56 PM

So you want to attach fabric to the wooden frame? You would have to test to make sure that the adhesive velcro would stick well to both your fabric and the wood.

An alternative that might be better would be to use a stapler gun (the kind used for wood, not a household stapler) for this kind of job.

The frame will lean against the wall?

coopah 02-11-2015 05:21 AM

I'd use the stapler as a couple others mentioned. Unless there's a reason for taking it off the wooden frame?