Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Vests,a blast from the past (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/vests-blast-past-t297622.html)

Jingle 06-15-2018 03:51 PM

I never wore a vest nor sewed one.

Irishrose2 06-15-2018 04:30 PM

I still wear denim ones and a few printed, but not the beaded ones I made 25 years ago.

tranum 06-15-2018 05:10 PM

I have several heavy ones I wear in Spring & Fall. One has a fur collar. All purchased.

lindaschipper 06-16-2018 03:56 AM

I liked quilted jackets but never got in to the vests.

judykay 06-16-2018 05:57 AM

I have two quilters vests that I still wear especially to quilt shows and get many compliments. One is all half square triangles that I did for my self and the back is white tonal with sewing notions . No idea where that piece of fabric came from but it was perfect. The other one a close friend made for me, the entire vest is yo yo's. She laughed when I wore it to a quilt show that I was getting so much attention and I told her but every ones aware that she made it, I made sure she was acknowledged.

Needles 06-16-2018 06:22 AM

Goodness, get them out and wear them. No one is ever going to find one in any store unless it's a thrift shop. You will be the envy of all who always want 'one of a kind.' I gave one to my sister, all appliqued, didn't fit me anymore. Having sewn for close to 60 years, at times with added applique and/or hand embroidery, I drove people crazy because they couldn't find anything like it. Knitted vests and ponchos too. You don't realize your talent, show it off! It will bring back the nostalgia to a now thing.

I have no idea why the word poncho came up as highlighted and goes to ebay. I am not nor never have been on ebay. But there is a lot there you could get ideas from, I guess. Just don't take any as mine, as they are not.

KalamaQuilts 06-16-2018 06:47 AM

I did a number of embellished 2nd hand vests now that I think of it, those were sold. One was well worn denim, quite light, and I appliqued Dear Jane blocks to it, 3 or 5 on the back and 2 on the front.

One was simple black velour, that called for some Shahiko (sp?), and interesting buttons, it really was gorgeous.

Needles, I don't see it highlighted but have often seen similar, I think the software picks up common sewing words and wants to heist us away.

carolynjo 06-16-2018 01:08 PM

One day, I took my vests (about 7 of them) to a book study and I arranged them on chairs. Several folks came right up and wanted to buy them. I gave one away and brought the rest home.

Rose_P 06-16-2018 07:47 PM

I once bought a partly finished little yo-yo project on ebay and made it into a vest. I wore it to a quilt show and then I reached the point when I knew I was not likely to wear it again (Those yo-yos make a person look fat!) I took them apart and joined them back into a rectangle, which is draped over a quilt rack right across from where I'm sitting. They're 30's fabrics, and I never get tired of looking at them.

ptquilts 06-17-2018 03:33 AM

I was not a fan of the "loud" quilted vests and jackets but yours is very nice and subtle, Kalama.