Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Vests,a blast from the past (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/vests-blast-past-t297622.html)

KalamaQuilts 06-15-2018 07:01 AM

Vests,a blast from the past

3 Attachment(s)
Another thread made me remember how much I loved my quilted vests 20-ish years ago. I wore them everywhere, shouting without speaking, (picture in all caps) I am a quilter

Do you still have yours? I have more if anyone will add theirs here.

This was a ready-made men's suit vest, embellished with ties and buttons. It never fit right because it wasn't designed for a womans curves but I love it. Don't wear it...but I love it ;)

SillySusan 06-15-2018 07:13 AM

Oh yeah, I still have most of my vests. I loved to wear them everywhere! And I loved the compliments and said, "oh, they are so easy to sew! I wish they'd come back in style. We'd have a leg up on the "new" style! :)

sash 06-15-2018 07:19 AM

Beautiful vest and yes, I made a few vests, but none so pretty as yours. Loved wearing them.

QuiltE 06-15-2018 08:06 AM

Oh go ahead and start wearing them again!
After all .....

......... Everything Old is New Again! :)

Never had any of these, but around the same time I had some of the fabric panel vests.
I'd buy them and embellish with embroidery, then stitch them up.

I even have a couple that have been stitched but never sewn.
I have been contemplating cutting them up and making them into a quilt.

However, what to do about all the cut threads?

PamelaOry 06-15-2018 08:20 AM

Quilted vests was before my time. More pictures please!

Jordan 06-15-2018 08:22 AM

That is so cute and really love the embellishments of the ties.

Anniedeb 06-15-2018 08:25 AM

I just gave my black vest to Goodwill! It was heavily embroidered in front with scrolling flowers. Vests were my signature look back in the day. I either wore them with a turtleneck, or a long sleeved satiny blouse. Have to check into the deep recesses of the basement storage closet to see if I have any left. Loved the look!

elnan 06-15-2018 08:32 AM

I made pullover crocheted granny square vests for my daughter and a few for myself more than 40 years ago.
I think the first book or leaflet that featured Fons & Porter was about vests, and I still have it.
My favorite vests to wear were ones with a tie in the back, just about the waistline. That tie was run through a tunnel stitched into the back and made the men's vests fit anyone.

Judy Murrah was popular with her vests and jackets, such as seen in "Jacket Jazz".

SusieQOH 06-15-2018 09:37 AM

I remember them but I never made or wore one.
Yours is so pretty!

KalamaQuilts 06-15-2018 10:38 AM

Judy Murrah's book is where I took the inspiration for mine, a lot of new techiques without getting all bogged down in something endless.

Pamela, I think I've lied to you :) I just went through my closet and they aren't where they hung for all these years!
We have an A-frame so there isn't very many places for something to hide, I'll keep my eyes peeled