Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Visit to USA 2012 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/visit-usa-2012-a-t124387.html)

Kooklabell 05-20-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Opal Jane
Hi Jacki,
I live 30 minutes from Washington DC and going to Lancaster Pennsylvannia to see the quilts, fabric stores and the Amish would be a great visit. I know you want to go to Washington but if you are ever in Houston Texas, the International Quilt Festival (www.quilts.com) is a must see. There are thousands of quilts and about 1500 vendors.

I agree - after visiting busy Washington DC a ride to Lancaster, PA would be a beautiful change. There is a quilt show March 14-17 2012. A bit chilly at that time of year, but prices for air and lodging might be a bit less. A nice addition, if interested, might be to land in NYC, look around and take the Amtrac train to DC - its about 3 hours or so. Nice trip. Be careful where you plan your stay in DC. It is pricey, but the less expensive are in an area (NE and SE) where I wouldn't stay! The subway system in DC is very user friendly and clean. Some hotels around the DC area - e.g. Alexandria etc., are on bus tour stop routes.

Patricia

scowlkat 05-20-2011 07:19 AM

There is no way on this earth I would ride a Greyhound by choice these days! I am afraid your vision is going to differ quite a bit from the reality.

Other than the Greyhound thing, I hope you do get to visit and have a wonderful time. Any AQS show will be a wonderful experience.

yolanda 05-20-2011 07:20 AM

what kind of people these days? I used to take greyhound with my gma when i was little :-)

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I think you might find a different kind of people travelling the Hound these days!! It might be interesting!! How about renting a car instead, might be cheaper. If you can get over that wrong side of the road driving, I know I wouldn't try it in England!!

How about WIlliamsburg, Va, I think that is somewhat near to Washington DC.

amma 05-20-2011 07:30 AM

It is funny, here on the west coast you say Washington and people think of the state. On the east coast you think of Washington DC :D:D:D

Jacki 05-20-2011 09:55 AM

Thanks Everyone
Of course I should have said Washington DC - the Smithsonian is a must of course but we are thinking of a 2/3 week trip. March sounds good. Pity about the bus.
Food for thought - many, many thanks.
Jacki

ptquilts 05-20-2011 10:13 AM

I could find enough to do in DC to fill a 2-3 week trip. There is a LOT to see and the best thing is most of it is free.

Murphy 05-20-2011 10:29 AM

Taking the Greyhound bus is not a bad thing. My friends mother takes it all the time to visit her children and she is 86 (and originally from England - smile). Take the bus if that is something you really want to do. You will have a good experience and enjoy the process. Take care and keep us posted.

Welcome to the USA from Iowa!!

Murphy 05-20-2011 10:30 AM

Taking the Greyhound bus is not a bad thing. My friends mother takes it all the time to visit her children and she is 86 (and originally from England - smile). Take the bus if that is something you really want to do. You will have a good experience and enjoy the process. Take care and keep us posted.

Murphy 05-20-2011 10:30 AM

DogHouseMom 05-20-2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jacki
Thanks Everyone
Of course I should have said Washington DC - the Smithsonian is a must of course but we are thinking of a 2/3 week trip. March sounds good. Pity about the bus.
Food for thought - many, many thanks.
Jacki

2-3 weeks is a good long time to see a good deal of the country. Suggest you drive as opposed to a bus though - several reasons. One is that if you see a sight - YOU can stop. The bus won't. If all you want to do is sit back and watch the scenery disappear then I recommend Amtrak (train) as opposed to a Greyhound bus. The busses are not comfortable, and most of the stations are seedy and smelly. Ich.

If you decide to rent a car ... we drive on the right. Every time hubby and I get back from England I have to remind him which side to drive on. (He's originally from Essex).

From DC a few nice places to visit for scenery ...

Shenandoah Valley in VA about 80 miles west of DC (and the Blue Ridge Mountains - stunning scenary. Pick a nice day for driving and just ... drive.

Lancaster County PA - about 80 miles or so north of DC - "Amish" country.

Williamsburg/Jamestown VA - about 100 miles or so south of DC. One of the original settlement villages. Our history when we were still English :).