Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Want to learn how to tat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/want-learn-how-tat-t266552.html)

pahega 06-18-2015 04:51 AM

Want to learn how to tat

I have always loved the look of tatting and want to teach myself how to do it. No one I know knows how. Is it a lost art? Is it difficult to do? Can anyone suggest good sources?

ManiacQuilter2 06-18-2015 04:56 AM

My Grandmother tatted and so did a neighbor of mine who died recently. I found it too difficult for me but I would suggest that you check around to find a specialty store that sells yarn. I don't think it is something you can learn from a u-tube.

Pudge 06-18-2015 05:03 AM

I took a class offered through my town's adult ed program. But it's very true that tatting instruction classes are hard to find. I was taught 3 or 4 basic stitches within 3 weeks of classes. It might be possible to find a book and learn on your own but I really needed visual instructions and so did my classmates. One suggestion would be to see if you can find folks who are into Civil War reenactment activities and there might be women who are creating clothing from that time period when tatting abounded.

nativetexan 06-18-2015 07:05 AM

check with your local Senior Center to see if anyone there would know. Good luck.

jbj137 06-18-2015 07:10 AM

*** My Paternal Grandmother made beautiful tatting.
*** Her fingers would just flying making it (fascinating to watch).
*** Was going to teach me and never got around to it (now it is too late).
*** I have one piece about a yard long that I love to look at at think of her.

calla 06-18-2015 08:11 AM

Maybe YouTube?

tessagin 06-18-2015 08:18 AM

You Tube and Google. Lots of videos especially for the beginners. There is needle tatting and shuttle tatting!!

Originally Posted by calla (Post 7230738)
Maybe YouTube?

Peckish 06-18-2015 10:21 AM

There was a free 45-minute beginning tatting seminar offered by a vendor at one of my local quilt shows. It was designed to pique your interest and get you to buy the supplies - and it worked! I learned how to do basic stitches in 20 minutes, and I did buy some pattern booklets and tools.

Check around your local quilt and yarn shops, put the word out that you're looking for instruction. I think something will pop up for you.

tate_elliott 06-18-2015 02:08 PM

My grandmother taught me to tat. Maybe she thought Tate should Tat? Anyway, tatting isn't hard. There are plenty of Youtube videos about it. You don't list where you live, but try an independent knitting/crochet store or check Meetup.com.

There are two types of tatting: needle and shuttle. I was taught with a shuttle. And there are two methods of shuttle tatting, they are (what I call) "round and round" tatting and "in and out" tatting. Both methods of shuttle tatting create the same result, it's just the handling that is different. Watch several of the videos online to get a feel for the different types of tatting and which might be the one that appeals to you.

Best of luck.

Tate

Tartan 06-18-2015 03:54 PM

I can't shuttle tat but could follow along to YouTube needle tatting tutorials.