Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Want to learn how to tat

Blog Entries

Want to learn how to tat

I have always loved the look of tatting and want to teach myself how to do it. No one I know knows how. Is it a lost art? Is it difficult to do? Can anyone suggest good sources?

My Grandmother tatted and so did a neighbor of mine who died recently. I found it too difficult for me but I would suggest that you check around to find a specialty store that sells yarn. I don't think it is something you can learn from a u-tube.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I took a class offered through my town's adult ed program. But it's very true that tatting instruction classes are hard to find. I was taught 3 or 4 basic stitches within 3 weeks of classes. It might be possible to find a book and learn on your own but I really needed visual instructions and so did my classmates. One suggestion would be to see if you can find folks who are into Civil War reenactment activities and there might be women who are creating clothing from that time period when tatting abounded.

Blog Entries
    check with your local Senior Center to see if anyone there would know. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    *** My Paternal Grandmother made beautiful tatting.
    *** Her fingers would just flying making it (fascinating to watch).
    *** Was going to teach me and never got around to it (now it is too late).
    *** I have one piece about a yard long that I love to look at at think of her.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    Maybe YouTube?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    You Tube and Google. Lots of videos especially for the beginners. There is needle tatting and shuttle tatting!!
    Quote Originally Posted by calla View Post
    Maybe YouTube?

Blog Entries
    There was a free 45-minute beginning tatting seminar offered by a vendor at one of my local quilt shows. It was designed to pique your interest and get you to buy the supplies - and it worked! I learned how to do basic stitches in 20 minutes, and I did buy some pattern booklets and tools.

Check around your local quilt and yarn shops, put the word out that you're looking for instruction. I think something will pop up for you.

My grandmother taught me to tat. Maybe she thought Tate should Tat? Anyway, tatting isn't hard. There are plenty of Youtube videos about it. You don't list where you live, but try an independent knitting/crochet store or check Meetup.com.

There are two types of tatting: needle and shuttle. I was taught with a shuttle. And there are two methods of shuttle tatting, they are (what I call) "round and round" tatting and "in and out" tatting. Both methods of shuttle tatting create the same result, it's just the handling that is different. Watch several of the videos online to get a feel for the different types of tatting and which might be the one that appeals to you.

Best of luck.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

Power Poster
    I can't shuttle tat but could follow along to YouTube needle tatting tutorials.

A friend of mine has a niece in OK that tats. She does fantastic work! Unfortunately I am over 1000 miles away from her. When my friend went back to OK to visit a couple years ago her niece made a couple pieces for my friend to bring back for us. I would love to learn to tat since I like to crochet with the thread.

I taught myself too tat. I found a site called Tatted Treasures or Heather Tatter which is very good. One nice thing is I could pause on the video too make sure I was doing everything right Also went on facebook and found some beginner's tatting site, the members are so helpful. A big no for it being a dead craft!!!!
    Pat in MN

I learned to Tat when I was a girl, my mother taught me. I never really got into it, to me it seemed rather pointless. I think the end product is pretty, but I am chronically practical, hence my mania for quilting.

Blog Entries
    My mother can tat and tried to teach me, but she's too fast and can't slow it down. I took lessons from a lady here over 40 years ago. But other interests have gotten in the way...
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

shy
    I have try both shuttle and needle..needle is so much easier to me..I got my supplies from Annie's Attic catalog..it comes with a step by step book..needle..etc..I enjoy the feel of the needle..sort of like crocheting..or knitting..the book is right there with pictures and printed instructions..do try it both ways ..and pick what suits u...enjoy

I taught myself to tat when I was 16 years old. I found a tatting book in a store window with a tatted doily on it, and said I just have to do that, it was soooo beautiful.
    That was "Coats and Clark's Learn How Book" I have also seen some other books in which I found tatting instructions, but by careful scrutinizing, found that I would not be able to learn it from those instructions.
    All you need to do it is some good cotton tatting or crochet thread and a shuttle. That's probably why it is not promoted much. Stores don't make much money selling supplies.
    I have hundreds of tatted snow flakes and small doilies that I hang on my Christmas tree each year. One year I left the tree up the whole year so I could look at the beautiful snowflakes all year.
    I have also given away hundreds of them and given several classes on tatting.

I wish we were closer. I would love to help you.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Craftsy has a shuttle tatting class that is really great; it's priced at $14.99 right now. I never was able to "get" the motion of tatting until I viewed the course, and then it suddenly clicked. It's been a while and I haven't gotten back to it, though. Too many classes... too little time!

My MIL tried to teach me. we finally gave up! Now I quilt and do Hairpin Lace.

I am trying old skills. Rented a french horn for 2 months. the last 2 weeks it just sat there so at least I tried. i just forgot the fingerings. so thought 'I would rather quilt" ! BUT I have gone roller skating 2 times in the past 2-3 months. I did not fall ! If I would go more often perhaps I could get really good again. used to go 2-3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by pahega View Post
    I have always loved the look of tatting and want to teach myself how to do it. No one I know knows how. Is it a lost art? Is it difficult to do? Can anyone suggest good sources?
    I taught myself to tat using http://totusmel.blogspot.com/ instructions, the lessons are down on the right of the page, and a few books I checked out of the library. There are a lot of good You tube videos. Tatted treasures is a good site but has not been updated for a while. First question you need to ask is Needle or Shuttle? I find the needle a lot easier to do and to keep my tension even, I can do shuttle but am very slow. I also like learning new stuff and have always wondered about bobbin lace, I'm giving that a try now. Not too hard, but can get messed up very easy. Good luck and go for it!!!

I taught myself to tat by watching videos, internet sites on tatting, and books. I first used the needles and found it easy but my fingers hurt after a while. So, I learned to use the shuttle. I tried reading instructions from several sources and eventually I got the hang of it. I am very slow but that's okay. The XMas ornaments and bookmarks I have made are beautiful and the recipients are always so pleased with them. It is another fun little craft to do using fibers. As others have said, it is very economical. JoAnns sells the tatting threads and shuttles. They are in the area where cross stitching supplies are sold.

go to youtube and look up needle tatting !! I got the tatting needles at hobby lobby.

There is a video/DVD, Tatted Lace: From Start to Finishing, by Bev Dillon.

It's a most excellent, educational DVD. It was how I managed, after 15+ years of "trying," to finally teach myself to tat.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

-1974 Singer 252 Fashion Mate; 1954 Singer 15-91;
    1952 Pfaff 130-6; Bernina 230PE, and Pfaff Serger 4874.

I took bobbin lace classes for over a year. It is not difficult to do. Learned to Tat from a 10 cent "Learn How to Crochet, Knit, Embroider, Tat" book bought at S. S. Kresge store in 1948. Made many mittens for everyone. Kept trying to learn to Tat by following the pictures and words. It took me 25 years and late one night my brain clicked and it was great. Ask at your Library, search YouTube and the Internet. I use a shuttle for Tatting. Good luck learning.

I bought the craftsy class taught by Marilee Rockley. It was very good. I also joined a tatting group in Yuma, AZ that meets at the foothills library every Wednesday from Nov thru April. Everyone is very nice and helpful. I also watch youtube videos which are helpful. You can find tatting thread at handy hands online. I find it a very relaxing and satisfying hobby that is portable.
    Mary Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast