Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Want to learn how to tat

Quote Originally Posted by mjkgquilt View Post
    I took bobbin lace classes for over a year. It is not difficult to do. Learned to Tat from a 10 cent "Learn How to Crochet, Knit, Embroider, Tat" book bought at S. S. Kresge store in 1948. Made many mittens for everyone. Kept trying to learn to Tat by following the pictures and words. It took me 25 years and late one night my brain clicked and it was great. Ask at your Library, search YouTube and the Internet. I use a shuttle for Tatting. Good luck learning.
    That sounds like the book I bought, and the year sounds about right, too. I still have the 1 yard piece of edging I made then.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

My grandmother used to tat and I still have her shuttle, but I have no idea how to use it.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I, too, have been wanting to learn how to tat. Also had a friend that was going to teach me but, unfortunately, she passed away. I've watched some YouTube videos and there are some good ones so now I just have to find the time to learn. I do know that each item takes a very long time and you don't want to make a mistake because tearing out is impossible. Good luck and keep us posted.

Maviskw, I wish we lived closer. It would be great to get together for a day of Tatting.
    Last edited by mjkgquilt; 06-20-2015 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling error

I
    , too, have been wanting to learn how to tat. Also had a friend that was going to teach me but, unfortunately, she passed away. I've watched some YouTube videos and there are some good ones so now I just have to find the time to learn. I do know that each item takes a very long time and you don't want to make a mistake because tearing out is impossible. Good luck and keep us posted.
    I am a shuttle tatter. How long it takes depends on what you are making and how long you've tatted. Undoing work is not impossible most times. It just takes practice! Guess how I know?! Learning the double stitch will take practice. If you work at it every day for a short time (10 - 15 min) you will get the knack of flipping your thread. Once you know the double stitch, rings and chains are a matter of how you hold your thread - the stitch is the same. Have fun learning and I hope you can find someone to work with. If you're in Yuma, join us at the library.
    Mary Ann

After reading this thread, I went to you tube and watched some videos....interesting....the finished product looks a lot like thread crocheting.....I am tempted to try, but I will resist!

Minnesota has a tatting society. I heard about it a few years ago and have the information. If someone wants it, let me know.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Google tatting instructions and lots of free info is out there. I have been toying with the idea of starting up again as I used to do it at School and loved the finished items and also the ease of carrying it about, a shuttle and a ball of thread! Lovely hobby and look at the results! https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ta...Y&ved=0CDAQsAQ

My grandmother taught me to tat, and it's so simple - a couple of stitches, and the rest is following the pattern. If you're coming to South Carolina, I can teach you. Start with a thick crochet cotton, and a good shuttle, which is hard to find. Not the big plastic ones.

Here's another resource for old crafting books: http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/

From their website: "This ongoing project is an effort to scan craft pattern publications that are in the public domain, to preserve them, so we can keep our craft heritages in our hands. Most of these scans have been graphically edited to make the images easier for craft workers to see, and to reduce file sizes. They are available, for free, to anyone who wants them, for educational, personal, artistic and other creative uses."

Only one "quilting" book, but there's absolute tons of other fiber art resources. I'm in the process of scanning some craft books (pamphlets) that my neighbor gave me - his mother kept EVERYTHING!

Blog Entries
    I too want to learn. I spoke with a woman who said it was like macramé only smaller. mostly half hitches. good luck if you do it, please show us what you've done.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2