Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   War Horse Movie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/war-horse-movie-t176424.html)

IdahoSandy 01-21-2012 09:46 AM

War Horse Movie

Has any one seen the move War Horse. This movie really shook me up. Way back when there was the war with Germany. If you ever see this movie, you will never want another war. Horses pulling big guns and the brutal things done to these animals when they could not perform any more. Men shot if they didn't get out on the front lines. Human life was nothing to these leaders, as humans were also expendable. I was awake all night with the memorys of this movie.
IdahoSandy

Kuusistoquilter 01-21-2012 10:20 AM

I think the whole purpose of the movie was to show the horrors of past wars. NO, it was not a pretty war, put it showed what huge hearts these horses had to give their human handlers what they were asked to do. Think of all the obstacles this horse went through. Plow horse, calvary horse, pulling ambulances, pulling guns. It wasn't about how horrible it was, it was about what people and horses can overcome. Yes, I was horrified when the horse got caught in the barbed wire, but was heartened by how the two sides came together to help save the horse.

mayday 01-21-2012 11:02 AM

I wonder how many horses were hurt making the film.

nativetexan 01-21-2012 11:24 AM

that is one I can't even watch the previews on t.v. about. just can't. I love horses so much that any scenes with them showing the possibility of them being hurt tends to upset me a lot. so NO, i won't be seeing it.
the things we do to animals for War is horrid all over the world.

Stitchnripper 01-21-2012 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mayday (Post 4896398)
I wonder how many horses were hurt making the film.

My guess is that the ASPCA or other animal rights groups is involved. There is always a disclaimer at the end of the movies with animals that they are protected. That being said, I don't want to see the movie because even if those movie horses weren't injured, there were real horses that were and that is just an image I don't want in my head.

Charlee 01-21-2012 12:11 PM

War is not pretty, no matter if you're animal or human. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life...

TanyaL 01-21-2012 12:47 PM

It is hard to enjoy all the freedoms that have been defended by our valiant warriors but not be able to watch a make-believe movie about that defense.

Sandra in Minnesota 01-21-2012 04:19 PM

Someone said, "War is hell" and I totally agree.

TanyaL 01-21-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 4897309)
Someone said, "War is hell" and I totally agree.

General William Tecumsah Sherman said that.

Lois-nounoe 01-21-2012 05:23 PM

I read the book and did like it. That said did you know that the war dogs of Viet Nam were either left to go on their own or were shot instead of bringing them back to the states after serving to protect our forces from mines and booby traps? After the Civil war was over most of the horses no longer needed were trapped into canyons and shot to death! Yes man is a selfish species when it comes to saving those inocents that risked their lives to save the humans that used and abused them.