Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Washer/Dryer Opinions Needed!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washer-dryer-opinions-needed-t190197.html)

Steady Stiching 05-29-2012 06:03 AM

I say a little prayer everytime I do a load with my old style washer that it hold out and gives me many more years.
It seems with every appliance I replace the newer one is just made cheaper. Just bought a kkitchen aid efficient dishwasher and it takes 2.5 hours to do a load of dishes (how is this efficient?) Everything about the dishwasher just feels cheaper.
I wouldn't buy a front loader because of the price, the mold factor and the fact that I would have to buy the drawer because I can imagine it would be physically difficult without it.

jitkaau 05-29-2012 06:32 AM

I've had both and the only 'problem' with a front loader is that you can't pop that extra sock in if you find it after the wash starts. The front loader uses less water and soap and is quieter.

wendiq 05-29-2012 07:00 AM

I have the front loading Maytag washer and dryer....both 10 yrs. old. I did buy the extended warranty and make a point of having both maintenance checked every year. So far, no problems. The basic charge I see that I save is almost $200 each visit for EACH machine. I also have a fridge with the extended warranty. I once had to have a small part replaced. Saved over $400 because of labor. I'm a fan of the extended warranties......As for the front loads, I like them, but like so many of you, will definitely get the drawers next time. I have gotten "old" over the last 10 years and I would like the added height. I have not used the HE soap but do only use 1/4 C of the regular stuff. No problems.

mjhaess 05-29-2012 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by kydeb (Post 5248366)
Okay. I've been reading a post about color catchers and see lots of comments pro and con front loading machines. I'm getting ready to buy a new washer and dryer in the next few weeks and am leaning toward a HE front loader. Throw those opinion at me - why should I buy or not buy a front loading machine? I know I can count on you guys to tell me like it is!! Thanks!!

I love my front loader. I have a Kenmore elite washer and dryer. I have owned them since 2005 and have had no problems. The clothes seem to get extra clean and have never had whiter whites.

nancyw 05-29-2012 09:02 AM

I've had a Maytag front loader and matching dryer for over 10 years and I love them. The washer has presoak, stain cycle, extra rinse, max extract, delay wash hand wash, delicates wrinkle free and cotton/sturdy push pads and the start push pad is also a pause one . Many's the time I've pushed pause to throw something else in. Just have to wait for the door to unlock which it does with an audible pop. The dryer has wrinkle prevent, wrinkle release, air fluff, senor dry and time dry push pads. Around the time remaining window are wrinkle prevent, cool dry, very dry, blank, normal, blank, damp dry pushpads. There's not much I can't do with them. Ihave successfully felted wool in mine also. I do have the drawers underneath and because I'm short it makes it a liitle harder to reach the push pads (they're on the back of the washer and dryer)but I manage.

nancyw 05-29-2012 09:05 AM

Oh, and I've never lost a color catcher. When I fear there will be a lot of color migration I use two. I' ve had some really red and really blue ones.

Dawnmarieodya 05-29-2012 11:55 AM

I have had my front loader for 6yrs and I love it. It is great for short people who can't reach into a top loader to get socks and sm items. I have a pedistal for both mine and It saves my back from having to bend over if it was too close to the ground.It does save on water and soap.I am able to put clothes in it that I couldn't other wise because of not having to get twisted in a wringer type machine. It is great for delicates and sm loads.It is well worth the difference in cost.

bakermom 05-29-2012 12:12 PM

I go for the machine with the fewest bells and whistles. the first set we had had features i never used so when it died i went basic.
My sister bought a front loader (she's on a well, thought it would be better using less water) . Never did like it. when she replaced it she went back to toploading.
DD has frontloader and loves it. i think the only thing it doesn't do is fold the wash LOL

Colbaltjars62 05-29-2012 01:27 PM

I have worked at a dry cleaner/laundry and we used both top and front loaders. Not only do the front loaders use less water/soap they also are easier on your clothes. Jeans and other cottons will not fade as fast, pilling is lessened and sweaters tend to keep their shape better. They spin at such a high speed that the dryer doesn't have to take as long to dry nor as hot so shrinking is lessened. One thing to remember though if you get a set of front loaders make sure there is a "clean out" on the front of the machine so you can easily take "spare change, color catchers and lint from rag rugs out of the trap.
My Wonderful husband bought me the SAMSUNG front loader washer and dryer with steam for our new {to us} home and they work perfectly. The issue with keeping the door to the washer open shouldn't be a big deal. Any washer will do that if left wet and warm. I keep a small towel on top so I just slip it into the door and it holds it open just enough to dry it out.
For those of you without pedestals you could have hubby or son to make you some out of 2x12's which should get it high enough off the floor to spare your knees and back.
Hope this helps...:cool:

MarleneC 05-29-2012 03:53 PM

I have a front loader stacking w/d combo. The one piece of advice I gave my daughter when she was looking at them is to make sure the washer has a pause button so that you can open the door and put in or take out laundry. Mine doesn't and there are a number of times I wish I had one. Other than that I like it. I'm not as fond of the gas dryer. It takes a lot longer to dry clothes than the electric dryers we've owned.