Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Washer/Dryer Opinions Needed!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washer-dryer-opinions-needed-t190197.html)

TanyaL 05-29-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 5250617)
But I know the front loaders are much cooler looking than the old fashioned looking top loader, !

My mom had a front loading washer in the 50's, so these are not the newest thing. They are just a revival. My front loader pair sitting on pedestal drawers saves my back which has had several back surgeries. They save us money each month on our electricity bill. I use the homemade detergent which also saves money. In a few very short years they will be cheaper than buying top loading machines due to what they have saved us each month. The pain they have saved by being able to reach straight in to the clothes and not ever having to bend over is beyond calculation.

cathyvv 05-29-2012 07:44 PM

I hate front loaders. Had one for about 7 years and then it quit working. Seems the drum rolling at high speed breaks the 'axel' (don't know if that is what it is really called) after that amount of time. Repair is as costly as buying a new top loader, so that's what we did. Our previous top loader had lasted about 15 years, so the front loader was a huge disappointment, and, as far as I'm concerned, replacing it more than used up any water bill Hsavings we had while it worked.

My sisters front loader recently broke - after 6 years of light use. We had an old top loader outside on our patio for a year - DH was supposed to junk it, but never got around to it. He brought it to her house, hooked it up and it works just fine. So my sister was able to save the $$$ that would have been spent on a new HE front loader.

cassie69emt 05-30-2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by kydeb (Post 5248366)
Okay. I've been reading a post about color catchers and see lots of comments pro and con front loading machines. I'm getting ready to buy a new washer and dryer in the next few weeks and am leaning toward a HE front loader. Throw those opinion at me - why should I buy or not buy a front loading machine? I know I can count on you guys to tell me like it is!! Thanks!!

We got our front loading W& D from Home Depot they sold as a set for 999 I believe. I do NOT miss the top loading washer at all.The front loaders use less water and detergent. Which in the long run save you money.The set are Amana's the only downfall from getting it from Home Depot was that the installers broke the mount on the storage riser which caused undo stress on not only the washer but me also.They did make it right though after many many calls.Just a little tip for anyone ordering the risers there is a package of bolts and protective feet covers that you are to get when you buy the riser,please make sure you get them ,the first one installed that got broke they kept those out of both risers.I only found out about them after they replaced the one,needless to say I called the installers and told them I was not happy they stole them from us as we were the ones who paid for them ,they did nothing to make it right either so buyer beware I guess.

Connie M. 05-30-2012 09:57 AM

I just recently replaced my 29 year old top-load Maytag with one as close to it as possible. It is a Maytag commercial size and cost about half of what the front loads cost. My old one saw me through raising 8 kids and washing diapers as well. I like my new one very much so far. Good luck in whatever you choose.

redhotnana 05-30-2012 01:09 PM

I have a Maytag front loader & dryer, and chose not to get the pedestals because I use the top surface to fold my clothes. It would have been too high with the pedestals. I like the w/d, and the washer does have a soak cycle; however, it is really just an extended wash cycle. At our vacation home we have a GE top loader, and when I buy old quilts that I want to soak overnight I take them up there and soak them overnight in an Oxyclean solution. I really like the front loader--it works great except for that one thing. Have had trouble with the dryer--although it works well, we have had to replace the handle THREE times! The plastic part just snapped right off!

Caswews 05-30-2012 01:21 PM

I have a top loader, but if you have the space-its eventually your choice-I use a special cleaner for the Maytag Washer & Dryer that we bought (use it in the washer)and I use HE soaps. I have no problems with smell, I leave the top on my washer open just out of habit.
We don't have the space for a front loader-but I really do suggest getting the extended warranty on the front loaders. I have an extended warranty on the top loader. Saves money when that machine decides to quit !

sailsablazin 05-30-2012 08:19 PM

I bought Whirlpool Duets--front loaders. Since I am 5'8" tall I also bought the pedestals so that bending over is not an issue. Love the machines. I do leave the washer door open and the soap dispenser open (told to me by the repairman). He also told me that Maytags were not what they used to be....much cheaper and bad reviews now. Also LG takes forever if you need parts. Obviously I asked the repairman lots of questions when my old machine was being repaired. Whirlpool does offer an extended warranty on their basket (my machine was made before they improved the basket, so got it repaired for free). I have a laundry tub for soaking items and/or use a bucket with Oxyclean when necessary. When I researched machines (and I really searched them all out)...whirlpool was top rated.

KarenR 05-31-2012 05:05 PM

My front load that is only 6 months old has a smell. I use front load cleaner almost weekly. Yes the door gets left open too.

I miss my top load!!! The front load does spin them so the drying time is less.

KarenR 05-31-2012 05:07 PM

I've heard that they make a machine that washes and dries in one unit.

mommaB 06-01-2012 04:04 AM

I have Whirlpool Duets. Love it. But do leave the door AND soap drawer open. Mine now has crud that grows above the softner holding area (on the machine, not the drawer, but in the drawer cavity on top). I do not seem to ever get rid of it, even after scrubbing with a toothbrush and bleach. Creeps me out a little!