Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   washer recommendations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/washer-recommendations-t191233.html)

Lucky Patsy's 06-08-2012 07:11 PM

washer recommendations

My washer just broke down again and as I have never been happy with it, I am getting a new one. Does anyone have a recommendation?

burchquilts 06-08-2012 07:22 PM

Maytag! Maytag! Maytag! I have always had one, my mother always had one, my MIL always had one... they take a licking & keep on ticking! Here's what workhorses they are... my DS & DIL have one that was my MIL from the 50's. She washed in it every day. Then when we got married, she gave it to us. I washed zillions of loads of wash in it. Never had to have it serviced (once a belt broke but DH was able to fix that). Then when DS & DIL bought their first house, I gave it to them (so I could get a new Maytag). I serious... they are wonderful & worth every $$$!

I think there was a discussion about this topic a while back. You might try looking for that thread, too.

quiltingcandy 06-08-2012 07:26 PM

I love my Kenmore top loading water & energy efficient machine. It is huge and does not have the center piece. I have had it about 2 years and it has been wonderful!

willferg 06-09-2012 07:19 AM

I'd suggest whatever you to out and find, read up on the reviews before purchasing. I have a Maytag Neptune top loader and when we bought it they had just come out. Turns out there are some design flaws that turn up about a year later (after the warranty runs out, naturally).

I wish I had read up before buying...

KyKaren1949 06-10-2012 03:53 AM

I have always bought Whirlpool washers and have never been sorry. They last forever.

be a quilter 06-10-2012 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949 (Post 5278129)
I have always bought Whirlpool washers and have never been sorry. They last forever.

lol, if they last forever, why have you had to buy more than one??

Stitchnripper 06-10-2012 04:15 AM

Maytag Washers are now made by Whirlpool. They are not the same as the old Maytags, reputation-wise. I hope you check out lots of good sources before making your decision. Good luck!!

coopah 06-10-2012 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 5276512)
I'd suggest whatever you to out and find, read up on the reviews before purchasing. I have a Maytag Neptune top loader and when we bought it they had just come out. Turns out there are some design flaws that turn up about a year later (after the warranty runs out, naturally).

I wish I had read up before buying...

We learned when buying cars to never buy the first year model...that has extended to other purchases as well. The first year is really like a trial run, no matter what the sales folks say. IMHO

thenonnielady 06-10-2012 05:52 AM

We had a Maytag Neptune. Bad. Maytag is not Maytag anymore. We now have front loading Samsung. They had good reviews when we investigated. I really like them, clean clothes and ease of operation. The only negative is that the cycle are longer than I am accustomed to.

BeverlyH 06-10-2012 06:19 AM

I've had 2 Maytag washers in the last 40 years. I still have the dryer purchased 40 years ago. My current washer was purchased in 1996.