Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Waste (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/waste-t110517.html)

Murphy 03-25-2011 07:30 AM

This is a wonderful, thought provoking idea; Lest we forget! Thank you for sharing.

wolfkitty 03-25-2011 07:40 AM

What a great story! I wish more people thought your way!

Ramona Byrd 03-25-2011 07:50 AM

I used to take an elderly friend some cat food for her thin cat. I'm sure that she shared her own food with it, because after I started doing this, both of them seemed to gain a little bit of weight.

In some places the Meals on Wheels also takes cat or dog food at the same time to shut-ins. Sometimes the pet is their only living friend, and they of course feed their friends.

bakermom 03-25-2011 09:08 AM

Elderly are sometimes better off eating small amounts several times a day rather than 3 reg. meals so this would be a great help for many people.
We had to learn to fix smaller portions for my mom so she wasn't overwhelmed by the amount of food on her plate. What we considered a portion was really two meals for her.

LovinMySoldier 03-25-2011 09:24 AM

We use to make these all the time for my great grandma. And then when she moved into a nursing home, her daughter, my grandma asked if she could have them. She didn't like cooking much after my grandpa died. So we saved them for her. Then she passed away my senior year of high school. So then my mom still made the frozen dinners and sent them with me once I started college. It was so nice every time I came home to have a big batch of food to take back with me. She then did this for my brother and now for my sister. It is amazing how all the little leftovers add up.

jaciqltznok 03-25-2011 10:44 AM

oh my gosh..that is just amazing...and so true..and so much better for her than those frozen store bought ones with all of the sodium in them...

what do you use for the trays?

grammy17 03-25-2011 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
We use to make these all the time for my great grandma. And then when she moved into a nursing home, her daughter, my grandma asked if she could have them. She didn't like cooking much after my grandpa died. So we saved them for her. Then she passed away my senior year of high school. So then my mom still made the frozen dinners and sent them with me once I started college. It was so nice every time I came home to have a big batch of food to take back with me. She then did this for my brother and now for my sister. It is amazing how all the little leftovers add up.

What a treasured memory from your family. I love it.

grammy17 03-25-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
oh my gosh..that is just amazing...and so true..and so much better for her than those frozen store bought ones with all of the sodium in them...

what do you use for the trays?

You can buy trays at the dollar store. My story was in the days of aluminum TV dinner trays. I collect TV dinner containers from friend who use them.

quiltmaker 03-26-2011 02:44 AM

What a moving story....reminds me of "There but for the grace of God go I.

watterstide 03-26-2011 02:59 AM

how wonderful! i toss extras in a zip lock for soups..but this is a much better idea!