Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Waste (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/waste-t110517.html)

grammy17 03-25-2011 05:21 AM

On the Main board I was reading about wasting material--or not. Reminded me of a story I want to share.

Years ago, I had dinner with an older and wiser friend. After dinner I helped clear the table. I started to throw away a tablespoon of peas. ( I had just reached a place where I decided to throw away little bits before they grew hair in my frige.) She stopped me. "I save those." Then she showed me her freezer. She had TV dinner trays filled with dinners for a 96 yr old. friend from those little bits. She doesn't eat much and what I would have thrown away feeds her for a week. Once a week I take her frozen dinners and a lunch. We eat and visit and I take the last weeks trays home for next week. Little things like that can enable someone to remain in their home where they are comfortable.

QuiltnNan 03-25-2011 05:22 AM

what a heartwarming story

frauhahn 03-25-2011 05:35 AM

Makes you think, doesn't it. . .how wonderful!

cjomomma 03-25-2011 05:41 AM

That is a fabulous story. If more ppl would do that then our seniors would be better off. I used to do something similar for an elderly lady until her DD finally realized that her Mom needed help. I used to get so mad when she would call me and say she had nothing to eat and that her DD said she was too busy or broke to bring food for her. then she would proceed to tell her about how she was going out to an expensive restaurant to have dinner. I could just scream at the nerve of some ppl.
Your friend is doing a great thing!!

amandasgramma 03-25-2011 06:08 AM

Great idea! I save my leftovers in a big container in the freezer in the house. Eventually, I make freezer soup. But I like the idea here.

CarrieAnne 03-25-2011 06:14 AM

Thats so nice! With so many people on hard times right now, every little bit helps!

bluteddi 03-25-2011 06:22 AM

we do a simular thing with our left overs. We make our own "TV dinners?. ( I've done this for friends as well-- when they needed extra help) We use our "TV dinners" when we are in a rush, or alot during the summer in the motorhome. I bought some reusable divided trays with lids from the Dollar Store. Best $1 I've spent in years!

redturtle 03-25-2011 06:25 AM

thumbs up!

gives that nice warm happy feeling in the pit of the tummy

and random acts of kindness do repay

Diana Lynne 03-25-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
On the Main board I was reading about wasting material--or not. Reminded me of a story I want to share.

Years ago, I had dinner with an older and wiser friend. After dinner I helped clear the table. I started to throw away a tablespoon of peas. ( I had just reached a place where I decided to throw away little bits before they grew hair in my frige.) She stopped me. "I save those." Then she showed me her freezer. She had TV dinner trays filled with dinners for a 96 yr old. friend from those little bits. She doesn't eat much and what I would have thrown away feeds her for a week. Once a week I take her frozen dinners and a lunch. We eat and visit and I take the last weeks trays home for next week. Little things like that can enable someone to remain in their home where they are comfortable.

wow, that is so nice..It really makes one stop and think..

grammy17 03-25-2011 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne

Originally Posted by grammy17

wow, that is so nice..It really makes one stop and think..

Yes, it makes me think often. Now if I only cooked at home so we had some left overs to share.