Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We are buying a quilting room!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-buying-quilting-room-t227288.html)

Dodee 08-05-2013 05:34 AM

Congratulations!!! I wanted a sewing room, too, but....it didn't work out that way. I had one before and my mess stayed my mess. Ha
I'm not keen on retirement, but......
No - I don't HAVE to get up early in the morning, but I still do. Guess it's the idea that I don't HAVE to.
I do miss the hub bub of work even tho' I complained about it when I was working. What can I say - never satisfied, huh???
Dodee

luvstoquilt 08-05-2013 07:06 AM

That is terrific..enjoy!

mjhaess 08-05-2013 07:35 AM

I hope you enjoy it....

grandma sue 08-05-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by cdmmiracles (Post 6216210)
awesome! good luck! we just finished building and I too am having a quilting room per my husbands suggestion :), e moved in a few weeks ago. The packing, moving, and selling of the other place has been exhausting.......but will be well worth it when my quilt room is set up. I too was working in the kitchen, living room or wherever I found a space to sew. So happy for you :)

We too are beginning on building a house - and an airplane hangar! That being said, I get to design my sewing studio. Now that I can do that - I'm overwhelmed! Where do I start! I'm really excited but anxious at the same time, We are doing a lot of the work ourselves. Will post pics when it is all finished. One thing I want to do is put in a Murphy bed. When it is folded into the wall, it will be my design wall. Other than that - I'm stumped!+

michelleoc 08-05-2013 08:45 AM

Congratulations on getting your own space!! It's the joke in my family that my home office/work office/sewing room/embroidery room looks like something from Hoarders. My husband came in the other day to iron a shirt and said he didn't know if he'd get out alive!!! Just a suggestion, sit in your existing space, look around and think about what you've been complaining about with your existing setup. Do you want a bigger ironing board? Do you want a giant table for quilting so the quilt doesn't drag on the floor? Do you need a table that's a different height for cutting fabrics? What type of storage do you need - stash, batting, thread, sewing/quilting supplies? Flooring, do you want the warmth of carpet, or the ease of hardwood? Lighting? Design wall? Display racks? Oh, so fun!!! I'll be watching the boards to see what you decide!

Also, as far as the HOA is concerned: is it a community that has a community pool? If so, you have the advantage of having a pool without the expense/upkeep. (Believe me, I know, my husband complains about our pool all the time!!)

BellaBoo 08-05-2013 09:10 AM

My DH to have a whole room for whatever when I don't have a sewing room? Never ever happened and never will.

Caswews 08-05-2013 11:41 AM

Oh my YES !! excitement galore .. that is what I love about this house . .I have my own room; it can be messy or not !LOL

caspharm 08-05-2013 02:33 PM

Congrats! I have my room. My only wish is a way to seal off the rest of the house. We have an somewhat open concept house and the formal LR/DR (my sewing studio) is open right off the front door and walkway that goes to the back of the house as well as an open wall between my area and the family area, so I can't shut out TV or other distractions.

BellaBoo 08-05-2013 03:38 PM

The house we lived in when I started quilting had the family room open to the kitchen and dining. I took over the room for my quilting.
A contractor put up a fake wall with door. When we moved the wall came down with no damage at all. The kids weren't happy losing their hang out room but they didn't have a say about it. DH was just glad I didn't want to share his backyard shop. LOL. I"ve never lived anywhere since that I didn't have a dedicated sewing area with door.

omacookie 08-05-2013 03:46 PM

I have a lr/dr with only 3 china cabinets and tons of boxes. I can stand the mess just leave me alone so I can sew and quilt.The cabinets will come later after I go thru many more boxes. UGH!!!! Hugs and congrats on YOUR ROOM!!!