Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We had an Echidna come and visit us today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-had-echidna-come-visit-us-today-t202623.html)

COYOTEMAGIC 10-08-2012 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5572097)
Don't hate opossums, they are awesome for the environment despite how ugly they look, they are for the most part harmless, more bark than bite, even if they try, they are so slow. I think they are just interesting creatures that are very unappreciated. The babies are really cute. I think they get such a bad rap!!!!

Possum or opossums? They are actually different animals, though they are both Marsuipals. They are so dang ugly they are cute. Do you know 'possums don't get rabies?! Scientists haven't figured that out yet but they think it's because of their high fat content. Loved the 'possums in the movie Bambi, lol.

The little Echinae in the picture looks like it is play "possum". "You can't find me"

chaskaquilter 10-09-2012 04:44 AM

Thank you so much for the beautiful picture. I have never seen one of these little critters.

wildyard 10-09-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 (Post 5569928)
Oh, my goodness. What a strange and adorable little creature. I know that Australia is home to many creatures that are mostly unknown to the rest of the world. I have seen pictures of many of the most beautiful birds ever that live in your country. Thanks for adding to our knowledge of things we will never get to see.

Yes, I want to second this. Thanks for sharing!

Roberta 10-09-2012 05:39 AM

Is that fur or are those quills on this little guy?

coopah 10-09-2012 05:46 AM

Such amazingly different animals in Aussie land! Thanks for introducing this one. :-)

Quilter7x 10-09-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 5570154)
Thank you so much for taking the time to show us this picture! May have seen one in a zoo but not even sure about that! Our dog passed away and I found his dog dish one day and decided to put some food scraps in it and I set it on my front sidewalk where I could see it from my front door. The next day, the food was gone. Kept doing it and the food kept disappearing. So, I started watching out my front door just a little after dark, with the front porch light on. In the next few weeks I saw the following: many different possums - some little some big, etc.; a family of racoons all fighting over the food; a grey fox a red fox and two different cats.

What a fun story! I would love to have been on the porch watching with you.

Woody, thank you for sharing the picture. It's really cute, though I would be keeping my distance! I hope you don't have to wait another 20 years to see another one!

sparkys_mom 10-09-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 5570295)
Well, she fits right in to the design of your picture. What a picture! Beautiful!

She really does ... I thought the same thing. Cute little animal. Thanks for letting us see it.

nativetexan 10-09-2012 08:07 AM

Oh so cute. I'd not heard of that one!! great photo.

quiltmau 10-09-2012 08:27 AM

darling-when I lived in Victoria I saw one by the side of the road-alive. they are darling. I also loved the birds and miss them. I had never seen a bird fly upside down until I saw a white cockatoo do it. Great fun.
The possums were darling and very friendly. They would bring their babies and wait for me to put out fruit. If I forgot or got busy they let me know my making a chirping noise. The cockatoos would come right up to the glass doors and knock with their beaks. Made for an interesting time when the moggies (Aussie for cats) were on the other side of the glass!!
Thanks for posting-great memories

NanaCsews2 10-09-2012 08:30 AM

Adorable! If you did landscape quilting, this would make a great memento.