Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We have been invaded!!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-have-been-invaded-t60736.html)

donnajean 08-22-2010 06:48 AM

Same here, but I don't hear them if I shut the windows. Just can't keep the windows open. If I do, I wake up before daylight with all the noise. I guess they are nocturnal as they make all fheir noise after dark. I always seem to get a couple in the garage every year & that I hear in the house.

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I don't know. I have been wondering why the crickets are so much louder than usual. I was talking to someone on the phone and they wanted to know what the noise was. It was just the crickets. You can hear them in the house at night.

cjomomma 08-22-2010 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I don't know. I have been wondering why the crickets are so much louder than usual. I was talking to someone on the phone and they wanted to know what the noise was. It was just the crickets. You can hear them in the house at night.

Our crickets are crazy loud too along with the jar flies. We also have horse flies, I have been here 6 years and never saw a horse fly until now. We also have a lot of butterflies way more than usual maybe that's why there is so many catapillars.

cjomomma 08-22-2010 06:52 AM

Too bad I can't load a video with sound to the QB so I can show how the grass looks and what it sounds like outside 24 hours a day.

MinnieKat 08-22-2010 07:00 AM

Yewwww ... are they Army worms or tent caterpillars? If they are they eat a LOT!!! And they stay around for several years!

Sadiemae 08-22-2010 07:03 AM

The crickets don't bother me, I just find it interesting that they are louder than usual. And my sister has tiny little frogs in the yards which have never been there before.

emt2004 08-22-2010 07:03 AM

I just mentioned to my DH the other day that I have not seen any tents this year, not that I miss them... I hate those things. I remember as a kid they would be all over the place...........Michele

CarrieAnne 08-22-2010 07:06 AM

ICKY!!!!!!! LOL, worms and snakes are the only thing I am afraid of, give me a spider over a worm anyday! I dont think they are tent caterpillars, I think they have really bright colors in them, and are fuzzy.

Up North 08-22-2010 07:07 AM

Are you seeing a lot of white nests in the trees? We had an epedemic of them several years ago in our area and they stripped the trees bare for miles, It looked like winter! They are awful! We had bands of duct tape with Vaseline on it so they wouldn't crawl up into the trees in the yard but the forest was eaten bare!

cjomomma 08-22-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat
Yewwww ... are they Army worms or tent caterpillars? If they are they eat a LOT!!! And they stay around for several years!

I have no idea what kind they are.

cjomomma 08-22-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Are you seeing a lot of white nests in the trees? We had an epedemic of them several years ago in our area and they stripped the trees bare for miles, It looked like winter! They are awful! We had bands of duct tape with Vaseline on it so they wouldn't crawl up into the trees in the yard but the forest was eaten bare!

I haven't seen any nests in the trees. I would think the birds would be having a feeding frenzy.