Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 101

Thread: We have been invaded!!!!!!

  1. #1
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    I went outside this morning and the grass looked like it was alive. So I took a closer look and there are little catapillars everywhere, 1000's and 1000's of them. It is kind of freaky. I have seen lots of them before but never on this scale.
    I hope you can see them in the pic's, my camera doesnt like to take close ups.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. #2
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Recently I saw a big web nest in a tree with a ton of caterpillars in it. I wondered what they were also.

  3. #3
    Super Member sewmuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,557
    What can you do about them??? and will they eat your plants or do they turn into moths?

  4. #4
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    Mine are not that big up here in southeastern PA, but I have had a terrible time with little green caterpiller looking bug eating my flowers. They seem immune to any insecticide I spray on the flowers. The really love petunia flowwers. I even woke up with one of the critters on my shirt last week. I guess he fell in my hair or was on clothing when I came in.

  5. #5
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Mine are not that big up here in southeastern PA, but I have had a terrible time with little green caterpiller looking bug eating my flowers. They seem immune to any insecticide I spray on the flowers. The really love petunia flowwers. I even woke up with one of the critters on my shirt last week. I guess he fell in my hair or was on clothing when I came in.
    We have these in Idaho also.

  6. #6
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    I wonder if it has to do with the heat wave we had?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Beth33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Posts
    390
    Ewwww creepy!! Would hate to step on one.

    Our backyard has been invaded by grasshoppers, but at least they jump away when I get near.

  8. #8
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    We have been extremely dry & I am one of the very few on my street that is watering so I think every rabbit, squirrel, deer & bug comes to my property for moisture.

  9. #9
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    I don't know. I have been wondering why the crickets are so much louder than usual. I was talking to someone on the phone and they wanted to know what the noise was. It was just the crickets. You can hear them in the house at night.

  10. #10
    Moderator sharon b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    20,411
    Blog Entries
    10
    Crickets I have tons of and can handle ... the caterpillars eeewwww no thanks :shock:

  11. #11
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    Same here, but I don't hear them if I shut the windows. Just can't keep the windows open. If I do, I wake up before daylight with all the noise. I guess they are nocturnal as they make all fheir noise after dark. I always seem to get a couple in the garage every year & that I hear in the house.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I don't know. I have been wondering why the crickets are so much louder than usual. I was talking to someone on the phone and they wanted to know what the noise was. It was just the crickets. You can hear them in the house at night.

  12. #12
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I don't know. I have been wondering why the crickets are so much louder than usual. I was talking to someone on the phone and they wanted to know what the noise was. It was just the crickets. You can hear them in the house at night.
    Our crickets are crazy loud too along with the jar flies. We also have horse flies, I have been here 6 years and never saw a horse fly until now. We also have a lot of butterflies way more than usual maybe that's why there is so many catapillars.

  13. #13
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    Too bad I can't load a video with sound to the QB so I can show how the grass looks and what it sounds like outside 24 hours a day.

  14. #14
    Super Member MinnieKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    northern Minnesota
    Posts
    4,520
    Blog Entries
    3
    Yewwww ... are they Army worms or tent caterpillars? If they are they eat a LOT!!! And they stay around for several years!

  15. #15
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,454
    Blog Entries
    20
    The crickets don't bother me, I just find it interesting that they are louder than usual. And my sister has tiny little frogs in the yards which have never been there before.

  16. #16
    Super Member emt2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    1,156
    I just mentioned to my DH the other day that I have not seen any tents this year, not that I miss them... I hate those things. I remember as a kid they would be all over the place...........Michele

  17. #17
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,046
    ICKY!!!!!!! LOL, worms and snakes are the only thing I am afraid of, give me a spider over a worm anyday! I dont think they are tent caterpillars, I think they have really bright colors in them, and are fuzzy.

  18. #18
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,502
    Are you seeing a lot of white nests in the trees? We had an epedemic of them several years ago in our area and they stripped the trees bare for miles, It looked like winter! They are awful! We had bands of duct tape with Vaseline on it so they wouldn't crawl up into the trees in the yard but the forest was eaten bare!

  19. #19
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieKat
    Yewwww ... are they Army worms or tent caterpillars? If they are they eat a LOT!!! And they stay around for several years!
    I have no idea what kind they are.

  20. #20
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,938
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Are you seeing a lot of white nests in the trees? We had an epedemic of them several years ago in our area and they stripped the trees bare for miles, It looked like winter! They are awful! We had bands of duct tape with Vaseline on it so they wouldn't crawl up into the trees in the yard but the forest was eaten bare!
    I haven't seen any nests in the trees. I would think the birds would be having a feeding frenzy.

  21. #21
    Super Member Darlene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    1,903
    I saw a pure white one the other day and thought it must be an omen of the winter to come. LOL

  22. #22
    Super Member sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    playing with fabric in Louisiana
    Posts
    3,375
    Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt) is a product that you may find helpful. Call your local feed store to see if they have it.
    It is considered organic and can really help with caterpillers.

  23. #23
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,502
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    Are you seeing a lot of white nests in the trees? We had an epedemic of them several years ago in our area and they stripped the trees bare for miles, It looked like winter! They are awful! We had bands of duct tape with Vaseline on it so they wouldn't crawl up into the trees in the yard but the forest was eaten bare!
    I haven't seen any nests in the trees. I would think the birds would be having a feeding frenzy.
    I think these are the kind that birds will not eat! They are ucky and when you squish them they are green!

  24. #24
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ewww I would be spraying or dusting something on these, if they are that bad.

  25. #25
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    They creep me out. Your camera was a little too good. ha ha

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.