Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   We have "tame" turkeys! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/we-have-tame-turkeys-t237828.html)

mighty 01-01-2014 07:44 AM

That is so cool!

Carol34446 01-01-2014 09:30 AM

Great picture. We have Peacocks that show up on occasion, and now one is white. They wander around the 4 acres and look for food, love horse food, and then off they go.

Cowbelle 01-01-2014 10:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I work in a national park, and we have lots of turkeys - they get so tame they actually come towards the visitors. It's against the law to feed any of the wildlife, but the turkeys are just curious. The ancient residents had them tamed, and used them for food and clothing. Right now they are fat and truly iridescent - they come right up on the walkway to my Post Office.[ATTACH=CONFIG]454236[/ATTACH]

lynnie 01-01-2014 10:28 AM

looks like you could also have dinner too. thanks for posting they really are pretty in thesepics.
cowebell, your pic looks like he's looking over his girls

nygal 01-01-2014 10:34 AM

We love seeing turkey on our property too!! Once time we had 12 stroll thru the back yard.

svenskaflicka1 01-01-2014 12:46 PM

my youngest daughter's neighborhood has a "turkey gang"--a group of urban turkey "thugs", who wander the city streets, sleep in people's yards, and generally create a stir wherever they go. folks love them so much that they have a fan base, their own t-shirts, and a Facebook page or two--the"northeast turkeys", or the "nordeast turkeys". there's enough park and undeveloped property in northeast minneapolis that they do very well, and have developed quite a sizable flock. we love them. there's not enough silliness in the world. they contribute to a lot of smiles!

Yooper32 01-01-2014 01:59 PM

Usually, here on our ridge, we see quite a few, but this last summer, they were quite scarce and I only saw one poult with one of the hens that frequents here and three with another one that hangs out down towards the bottom of the ridge. The main thing they come through here for is to do their dirt bathes during tick season. There are several downed trees and when they go down, the roots bring up loose dirt, so it is easy for then to get the dirt to fly all over them.

Caswews 01-02-2014 07:23 AM

Here is how city girl I used to be !LOL First time ever I saw a turkey fly I was amazed. I never knew they could fly till a few years ago. Nor did I know they liked the high trees to roost in. It was just the most amazing site I had ever seen well next to the hill side moving.. LOL It was all elk on a hillside (probably 200-250 of them critters) and the whole hill side moved. I was amazed then too, that was about 25 years ago .. LOL Yah I know .. Silly city girl !LOL

JoanneS 01-02-2014 01:15 PM

We had about a dozen wild turkeys nesting in one of our huge maple trees at night, until the lower branch they flew to was lost in a storm. Now they use someone else's tree. We miss them! It was so entertaining - especially to watch the youngsters who waited until the last possible moment to fly up to the tree - with the Moms calling them louder and louder.

wolph33 01-02-2014 01:37 PM

Awesomeness

What a great pic of your feathered friends, thanks for sharing