Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is the age you became an empty nester at? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-age-you-became-empty-nester-t146517.html)

pollym44 08-21-2011 07:04 AM

Not yet!! Don't know if I could stand not having big dinners and sweet cakes on my "everyday list". At one time, I was, but my daughter got tired of being abused and came back home with my 2 grandchildren. I enjoy the hugs and "I love you's" too much to think of letting them go.
YES, my quilting family, I know this won't last forever---that's why I'm STILL buying fabric. I know the time will come when I won't have anything but time for quilting. :D

misscarol 08-21-2011 07:06 AM

48....I am so busy, I wonder when I had time to raise children :)

May in Jersey 08-21-2011 07:14 AM

Can't actually remember when DS#3 offically left the nest. Oldest 2 sons left 30 years ago this summer when I was 45 and DH 47, one married in July and the other in August.

DS#3 left for college about 2 years after that and never really lived full time with us again so we've been empty nesters since I was about 48. I really didn't have a problem with them leaving as it was in natural progression of life and we see each them and their families often (Thank God for Grandkids). Not having daughters does make a difference, guys don't share as much of their daily lives with their Moms the was may girls do.

Wonder how my oldest sons are fairing with their girls leaving home to get married, buy their own homes or moving across the country. I think it's a period of adjustment for them as they both did a lot with their girls.

hikingquilter 08-21-2011 07:20 AM

I wish I could have the experience! At 62 and being mom of 7, I wonder when it will ever happen. It seems that as one moves out another is at the door saying, "Mom, I'm home!" Usually it's because the roommate thing didn't work out in the apartment or the relationship broke up, or suddenly deciding on a change in careers ("It'll be cheaper to stay at mom's while I go back to school.") Only one multiplied first - wife & baby - but stayed only 6 months while they got on their feet (they are now doing well, both work and now own their own home). I sure would not miss the drama of 20-somethings!

luvstoquilt 08-21-2011 07:26 AM

I was 50 and I HATED it. Now at 70 I live down the street from my son and his family..they are around all the time and I love it. I was widowed 3 1/2 years ago and moved here 2 years ago after I retired. My precious DIL found this house for me and I have totally remodeled it. I would like to travel again but hate the thought of going alone so I feel very fortunate we traveled so extensively before Joe became ill. Sometimes I think about what I should do with the rest of my life..it seems there should be more but I am well. It is very difficult to make new friends at my age so I do a bit of volunteer work and manage to keep busy. I also dress and go out every day even if it is just to the store.

mythreesuns 08-21-2011 07:28 AM

I was 44 and hubby was 47..

aronel 08-21-2011 07:39 AM

I was 58 when my youngest son finally moved out. He was 34 and for the last year he lived with us, his son and girlfriend did also. On the day he moved I asked him "What's your hurry!" LOL. Free at last, thank God almighty, free at last. :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW he just moved down the hill to the end of our driveway. So he is still here a lot.

marmalade 08-21-2011 08:01 AM

If I remember correctly - I was 39...

And I still worry about my daughter !

Learner747 08-21-2011 08:12 AM

We discovered there is good news and bad news for empty nesters. The good news is they have moved on. The bad news is they come back. :lol:

lisajane 08-21-2011 08:12 AM

I was an empty nester at 40. My boys kinda came and went, so it was never a true empty nest. They would come in and eat, use the bathroom etc. I love them more than life. I had my first baby at 18, I got out of the hospital on my 18th birthday, not really the way I was expecting to spend my 18th, but I wouldn't trade it for nothing. I thought I was so mature and knew everything, I am 46 getting ready for 47 in September, I didn't know nothing back then, and I ain't so sure I have all the answers now. But it is a little funny how you become humble with age. Maybe wiser, all them old people back in the day, telling you something, they knew what they were talking about.