Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What books would you recommend to read? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-books-would-you-recommend-read-t161447.html)

Becca Bear 10-18-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
Anything by Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, Barbara Delinsky and the Elm Creek Quilt books by Jennifer Chiaverinni.
I am not into mystery and suspense, so cannot give you any recommendations on those.

I recently read "House Rules" by Jodi Picoult. It's about an autistic boy that's involved in solving a crime. It was a good book, what I would consider an easy read for entertainment. I usually prefer non-fiction and true crime books, but also enjoy inspirational books as well. I read just about anything, as long as it's not "gutter language or trashy". Those types of books just don't appeal to me. I love the Patricia Cornwell books with "Kay Scarpetta". John Sanford and John Grisham are also two of my favorite authors.

Becca Bear 10-18-2011 06:09 PM

Lisanne, I read "The Help" recently and thought it was excellent. I also just finished "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. I really enjoyed her writing style and thought it was an excellent book. Both of these were also made in to movies recently , but I didn't see either one of them. The books are usually much better than the movies.

Sheila_H 10-18-2011 06:09 PM

It depends on what time of books your interested in, I come from a medical background so I like these authors.

Robin Cook
Tess Gerritsen
Laurel Hamilton
Kathy Reich
James Patterson
Brad Thor
Tom Clancy
Vince Flynn

sewlisa 10-18-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Elm Creek Quilt books by Jennifer Chiaverinni.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

hazeljane 10-18-2011 06:51 PM

My pick is "Forever: A Novel" by Pete Hamill. Might be the best book I've read all year.

I love Pete Hamill, and I think this is his masterpiece. Great story, and NYC, specifically Manhattan, is a character- from 1740's until the day after 9/11. It's an amazing, magical, uplifting, thought provoking story. The kind of book you don't want to end.

KerryK 10-18-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
I'm a huge james patterson fan, I also like harlan cohben. Those are my two faves. However you cannot count dean koontz out. He is sometimes more difficult for me to read due to his numberous characters, but a good read if you can stay focused

My faves of james patterson are his series involving the womens murder club ( ie 1rst to die, 2nd chance, 3rd degree, 4th of july, 5th horseman, 6th target, 7th heaven, 8th confession, 9th judgement, 10th anniversay)
the quickie
the postcard killers
and the honeymoon were also good reads
he also has his alex cross series
harlen cohben his series featuring myron bolitar

I'm with you ... I love James Patterson, especially the Alex Cross series. And of course, Nora Roberts, Catherine Coulter, and can't leave out Danielle Steele. More, but I'm kinda brain-dead now.

bepositive 10-18-2011 07:07 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation - I had a similar experience with my mom. Unfortunately she passed away in 2005 after suffering with dimentia/Altzheimers for several years. It was SO VERY hard to see her change and then not even know who I was! I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but after she passed away, the "bad" memories I had gradually began to fade and the wonderful memories from "the good old days" came back. I'm thinking of you and wishing you and your whole family well! Take care and "hang in there"! :thumbup:

bepositive 10-18-2011 07:10 PM

I forgot to mention the books! Janet Evanovich is hysterical! Right now I'm reading My Name is Mary Sutter (historical fiction) and if you have LOTS of time, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is EXCELLENT - you'll absolutely fall in love with Jamie, but the books are about 700 pages long!!! :-D

Quiltbeagle 10-18-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rose L
My favorite author is Rosamund Pilcher. She has a few books and numerous short stories. Most are set in the English countryside.

She is also my favorite author. Though all her books are wonderful, The Shell Seekers is a must read.

I'm also reading the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. About an English woman who gets caught up in time traveling from the mid 20th century to 18th century Scotland.

Caswews 10-18-2011 07:32 PM

Our prayers go out to you and your family ..