Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What can I do with a marching band uniform? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-can-i-do-marching-band-uniform-t239997.html)

Cagey 02-04-2014 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by adamae (Post 6546221)
What a challenge! Maybe, instead of a pillow make a block of the interesting elements and put in a frame to hang on wall with a notation of the years and location. etc on the back or on a plaque. Be sure to mention your part in this on the back as a matter of record for future generations. Just have fun with it!!!

This sounds like a great idea - and much easier to finish.

DACO48 02-04-2014 08:12 PM

I too, was just going to suggest something like a banner-like wall hanging. If the uniforms have braids over the shoulder/sleeve, the braids could be used as the hanger.

PlanoDebbie 02-11-2014 11:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]461880[/ATTACH]Here is a picture of the band uniform before I did anything to it.

I spent 5 hours tonight working on this project, and finally finished the first one!!! I started with a 13" block cut from the center of the uniform. Since there is very little red, I wanted to get as much included as possible. I ironed fusible interfacing to the back of the piece. Next I cut a piece from the sleeve where the school name was stitched to it. After I stitched it down to the main block, I added the silver trim around to cover the stitching. The silver trim was salvaged from the collar of the uniform. Next I added the collar tabs on the side and top. Using the sleeves, I ironed fusible interfacing to them and cut them into 4" strips. These became the outer border for the pillow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461882[/ATTACH]

After the front of the pillow was done, I had to figure out what to use for the back. The back of the jacket was long enough to work, but wasn't wide enough. I cut off one leg of the pants and split it in half length-wise. Half of each pant leg was then added to the sides of the jacket back. Since the back of the jacket already had a 16" zipper and heavy duty snaps, I wanted to use that for the reverse side of the pillow. It worked out perfect! Here's a picture of the back of the pillow all zipped up. Then, you can see it un-zipped with my red pillow peeking out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461883[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461884[/ATTACH]

Well, there you have it! How did I do on my very first ever Band Uniform Pillow??? I have one more to make, then I'm done. Whew! So glad to finally have this UFO done.

carolaug 02-12-2014 02:31 AM

Looks Great!!! another idea for the future is a bag/purse - my daughter inlaw bought one made from her husbands uniform and its awesome.

carolaug 02-12-2014 02:34 AM

here is an example of one made from a uniform - http://www.etsy.com/listing/87290932...earch_type=all

Nanny's dollface 02-12-2014 04:29 AM

Wow! Your pillow looks fantastic! I like how you incorporated the shoulder epaulets, buttons, and school colors in the design with the school name. Great job!

QuiltMom2 02-12-2014 04:37 AM

"I'm afraid that if I make something really nice, they may drop off the other ten uniforms at my house!"
This made me laugh!! You must be a smart lady!!i

CookyIN 02-12-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 (Post 6569938)
"I'm afraid that if I make something really nice, they may drop off the other ten uniforms at my house!"
This made me laugh!! You must be a smart lady!!i

Is she smart? I think they're going to drop off the other ten uniforms for sure now. She did a fantastic job!

PlanoDebbie 02-12-2014 05:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, the reason they gave me these uniforms is because I made a t-shirt quilt last year for their Silent Auction. Each band section (Tuba, Trombone, Percussion, Flutes, etc) come up with a cute design for the kids in their section to where. I had asked the band director before school starts if each section would order one extra shirt to donate to this quilt. They sold my quilt for around $550.00 in the silent auction. I told them they would make more money as a raffle, but I guess they did ok.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461903[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461904[/ATTACH]
Here's the quilt they sold in their auction. I also used the back of a few cut up shirts to make this memory bear for them as well.