Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What can I do with a marching band uniform? >

What can I do with a marching band uniform?

What can I do with a marching band uniform?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 PM

Default What can I do with a marching band uniform?

The high school I work for just got new band uniforms. The director gave me two old uniforms and asked if I could make a pillow or something out of them. I've got the jacket and the pants from both uniforms.

I have no clue where to even begin, since I really don't like to sew with anything but cotton.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 PM

If there is a school name or letters, I would start with that and then use the school colors. If there is a mascot or other school item, like an Indian or a tiger, maybe you could shape something out to put on the back of the pillow. I would use the school name in the middle, cut strips in the colors and make it maybe 16" square or more. If there are color strips down the legs, use them too. Open the arms and legs at the inner seams, you will find a lot of fabric when it is opened up. If it is wool, they have probably been dry cleaned many times over the years so the wool would have already been shrunk. Sew it just like cotton but I would serge the edges. You should be careful with the lining. I would not use it if there are rips and holes in it. If good, use it for an inside pillow case if you are providing the pillow form or if you are making the case and putting poly fill in. Best of luck. I was a cheerleader, Class of 1960, and I would love to have my uniform.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Power Poster

Is this for you to make something that will go back to the school, perhaps for a fundraiser? or was it just a gift to you, to do as you wish and then have it for yourself?

Marching Band uniforms can vary so much ... so could you show us a pic of the uniform?
I think that would really help to generate ideas as to what might be do-able.
There could be some really neat things that could be made.

What kind of material is it?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:47 PM

The Directors kept about a dozen of the uniforms and wanted me to make some pillows for their band office. I'm afraid that if I make something really nice, they may drop off the other ten uniforms at my house!

I'll try to post a picture of it this weekend. I guess they think that since I quilt, I can turn anything into something.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 PM

Thumbs down

The statement you're searching for is: "I'm so sorry. I don't work with that kind of fabric, never have before and I'm not good with pillows. I'd be so worried about ruining them. I'm afraid you'll need to find someone else to do this for you."

You see, you don't have to lie. Just tell the truth in such a way as to stop conversation about it. Now give those two uniforms back! I can tell you'd almost rather have bamboo shoots rammed up your fingernails than to work on those uniforms. So don't.

Last edited by MacThayer; 01-30-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

PLanoDebbie ... if you are telling us the truth as to your thoughts and feelings on this, then I agree with MacThayer, except I would leave out the I'm so sorry ... and the I'm afraid.

You know that a person can say NO!!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:24 AM

What a challenge! Maybe, instead of a pillow make a block of the interesting elements and put in a frame to hang on wall with a notation of the years and location. etc on the back or on a plaque. Be sure to mention your part in this on the back as a matter of record for future generations. Just have fun with it!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
The statement you're searching for is: "I'm so sorry. I don't work with that kind of fabric, never have before and I'm not good with pillows. I'd be so worried about ruining them. I'm afraid you'll need to find someone else to do this for you."

You see, you don't have to lie. Just tell the truth in such a way as to stop conversation about it. Now give those two uniforms back! I can tell you'd almost rather have bamboo shoots rammed up your fingernails than to work on those uniforms. So don't.
Great response! My thought was to donate them to a local theater company for costumes!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post

Nothing wrong with saying no, especially if you can say it so sweetly!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Myself, I like a challenge like this. I can work with any fabric & make it workable. A picture would help to see what you are dealing with so we can give you better ideas. I would also let them know that there would be a charge for your time.