Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what to do with out-dated Dr. Pepper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-out-dated-dr-pepper-t218938.html)

pocoellie 04-12-2013 04:28 PM

The only thing that I MIGHT pay attention to the "freshness date" is things like milk, cream, etc. We all managed to survive eating undated food stuff long before the freshness date came into being. If I had outdated sodas, whatever, I would go ahead and eat/drink them.

LynnVT 04-12-2013 04:45 PM

Had a relative who worked for a pharmaceutical company who said the use by dates are about two or three years before there would be any problem. Some drugs do lose potency and could even be toxic if kept too long, though. I don't use dairy much beyond use-by dates, as it could get rancid. Also mold starts to form - yuck. Soda, who knows? I agree with suggestions. Cook with it. Try some new recipes! I recently made beer bread using some beer that someone left at our house Christmas 2011 and it was just fine. I don't like beer, so it was the only way to not waste it. Then there is the question of old wine. Beaujolais does become vinegar eventually, so I recently strained an old bottle of it into a vinegar bottle. Works quite well in cooking - crock pot meat, for example.

jbud2 04-12-2013 11:00 PM

I had some out dated diet caffeine free coke that tasted horrible - it was like drinking salt water. I can't remember how much pass the date it was couple - a couple months. If it's that old, I won't buy it.

Stitchit123 04-13-2013 02:50 AM

A can of soda or beer will unclog a drain -the bubbles separate hair or kitchen debris and it continues out to the sewer. Way cheaper then store bought drain cleaners

dd 04-13-2013 03:36 AM

that's because your prescription expires a year from when the dr. wrote it. I asked the pharmacist about it once and he told me to "take the pills, they won't hurt you" & he was kinda gruff about it too.lol

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5996255)
I want someone to prove to me that on 3/24 it is good, and on 3/25 it is not!! LOL! I agree, they are an estimate. "Best by".

And while we are at it, why does your prescription medicine expire exactly one year after it is filled? Is there a little self-destruct device in the pill bottle?

willis.debra 04-13-2013 04:31 AM

that is a sell by date, we sell it where I work. It will be fine for a while longer, and then its only a taste issue.

piepatch 04-13-2013 04:35 AM

I would drink it because the date is not that far off. No wait.............here is what I would do.........Get the Dr Pepper really cold, and pour over vanilla ice cream, stir and make a frosty! It may sound weird, but it is very good! Be sure the Dr Pepper is cold before you pour it over. It tastes better that way.

3incollege 04-13-2013 04:44 AM

I wouldn't worry about a month or two, like everyone else suggest cook with it. However I want to point out that there is some warning about using out of date cake mixes and pancake mix, they can get mold and you don't even realize it. Beware if you have an allergy with mold.

SimpsonFrances 04-13-2013 05:48 AM

I'm a Dr Pepper drinker and I would drink it if it is the regular Dr. Pepper. I've been told the Diet Dr. Pepper looses its taste if it is too old but I never have mine around long enough for that!

tessagin 04-13-2013 06:31 AM

Just make sure there is no aspartame in it. If it's diet, I'd throw it out. not worth going to ER for. I never purchase any more than I know I will drink. I look a the expiration date before I purchase. I don't purchase diet anything or sugar-free.