Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what to do with out-dated Dr. Pepper

what to do with out-dated Dr. Pepper

I have out-dated cans of Dr. Pepper. Anyone know how I can use them?
    Hate to waste them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Power Poster
    I know that some people use cola to tenderize steaks for the BBQ, would it work for that? Dr. Pepper is basically sugar/water so any recipe that calls for water could have Dr. Pepper instead? How about freezing it in another container to make smoothies or sherbets? How about into a Dr. Pepper ice ring for the punch bowl?

How long have they been out of date? Most dates state "Best by mm/dd/yy". If it is less than 6 months, I would drink it. Other uses would be to use this as the can for BBQ on a can. As Tartan stated, it would be a way to tenderize steak.

My out-dated Dr. Pepper date is March 24, 2013.
    How do you use it for tenderizing steak? That sounds like a great idea.

Blog Entries
    I would only use it for ice as it has lost most of its flavor

Blog Entries
    I would drink it. That is just a guessed date for keeping. It would be fine to drink.

I would drink it, its not that far off, thats just usually the sell by for the stores date, not an expiration
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I want someone to prove to me that on 3/24 it is good, and on 3/25 it is not!! LOL! I agree, they are an estimate. "Best by".

And while we are at it, why does your prescription medicine expire exactly one year after it is filled? Is there a little self-destruct device in the pill bottle?

I use Dr. Pepper to make pulled pork. Just put it in the crock pot or oven pour Dr. Pepper over and cook. It tastes great and the expiration date won't matter.
    Miz Kyp aka Margie

Blog Entries
    I follow the rule "best by does not mean not bad after"....go ahead and use it.....use the Dr Pepper and mix it with chocolate cake mix and bake (add nothing else)....makes an excellent moisr cake with no fuss

The only thing that I MIGHT pay attention to the "freshness date" is things like milk, cream, etc. We all managed to survive eating undated food stuff long before the freshness date came into being. If I had outdated sodas, whatever, I would go ahead and eat/drink them.

Had a relative who worked for a pharmaceutical company who said the use by dates are about two or three years before there would be any problem. Some drugs do lose potency and could even be toxic if kept too long, though. I don't use dairy much beyond use-by dates, as it could get rancid. Also mold starts to form - yuck. Soda, who knows? I agree with suggestions. Cook with it. Try some new recipes! I recently made beer bread using some beer that someone left at our house Christmas 2011 and it was just fine. I don't like beer, so it was the only way to not waste it. Then there is the question of old wine. Beaujolais does become vinegar eventually, so I recently strained an old bottle of it into a vinegar bottle. Works quite well in cooking - crock pot meat, for example.

I had some out dated diet caffeine free coke that tasted horrible - it was like drinking salt water. I can't remember how much pass the date it was couple - a couple months. If it's that old, I won't buy it.

Blog Entries
    A can of soda or beer will unclog a drain -the bubbles separate hair or kitchen debris and it continues out to the sewer. Way cheaper then store bought drain cleaners

dd
    that's because your prescription expires a year from when the dr. wrote it. I asked the pharmacist about it once and he told me to "take the pills, they won't hurt you" & he was kinda gruff about it too.lol

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I want someone to prove to me that on 3/24 it is good, and on 3/25 it is not!! LOL! I agree, they are an estimate. "Best by".

And while we are at it, why does your prescription medicine expire exactly one year after it is filled? Is there a little self-destruct device in the pill bottle?
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

that is a sell by date, we sell it where I work. It will be fine for a while longer, and then its only a taste issue.

I would drink it because the date is not that far off. No wait.............here is what I would do.........Get the Dr Pepper really cold, and pour over vanilla ice cream, stir and make a frosty! It may sound weird, but it is very good! Be sure the Dr Pepper is cold before you pour it over. It tastes better that way.

I wouldn't worry about a month or two, like everyone else suggest cook with it. However I want to point out that there is some warning about using out of date cake mixes and pancake mix, they can get mold and you don't even realize it. Beware if you have an allergy with mold.
    Donna

I'm a Dr Pepper drinker and I would drink it if it is the regular Dr. Pepper. I've been told the Diet Dr. Pepper looses its taste if it is too old but I never have mine around long enough for that!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Just make sure there is no aspartame in it. If it's diet, I'd throw it out. not worth going to ER for. I never purchase any more than I know I will drink. I look a the expiration date before I purchase. I don't purchase diet anything or sugar-free.

One or two days does not mean the food/drink is no good. I argued with a sales person in Walgreen's about the goodness of some candy they were pulling from the shelf. He said he could not sell it to me as it was out of date--and it still in the aisle. I told him I was willing to take the risk and bought it anyway but he was really bothered by my attitude.

My mother was a dietician and one of the things I had pounded into my head as a child and I live by is " When in doubt, throw it out!" If you've had that soda so long it's expired, is it really worth ruining a roast with it? What's a new bottle cost? $2? Pitch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I would drink it, its not that far off, thats just usually the sell by for the stores date, not an expiration
    I agree!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jbud2 View Post
    I had some out dated diet caffeine free coke that tasted horrible - it was like drinking salt water. I can't remember how much pass the date it was couple - a couple months. If it's that old, I won't buy it.
    I do believe the artificial sweetener loses its taste after a few months, or less time if it is in the heat.
    Alyce

Use it as a science project for your children or grandchildren. Put it in a cup with a chicken bone and see how it dissolves. Then have them research the amount of artificial sweetener, coloring, flavoring, etc. Older students could research how its made, consumption in different areas, effects on humans, testing, on and on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast