Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you do with old, left over prescriptions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-do-old-left-over-prescriptions-t169505.html)

handquilter 11-26-2011 09:41 AM

I take mine to my dr. when I go. he takes them and does something with them. Handquilter

ptquilts 11-26-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 4718931)
We are on a septic system so I can flush the pills.

It is still going in to the water table. Not a good idea.

TanyaL 11-26-2011 10:21 AM

About the water table. We have 200 feet of limestone that filters water before it reaches the water table. The level of a water table varies considerably in different parts of the US. In New Orleans I could reach ours with a shovel. Here in this part of Texas we sit on top of an immense layer of limestone. Our water is incredibly pure from all of that purification. Below our well the rock continues for ever and they drill it for natural gas, then they pump the frack water back into frack wells. That is the most vile, toxic mess man ever made except for nuclear waste. That water will BURN. Makes pills looks like candy. And yes, frack wells do occasionally leak. There are law suits in most of the counties about that.

Lisanne 11-26-2011 11:35 AM

Are you serious? I just throw mine away in the bottles they came in. I had no idea you were supposed to do anything special to dispose of them. Not that I have so many old prescriptions, and only once in my life have I ever had one with a narcotic (codeine, if that's a narcotic) in it.

Does this only apply to oral meds (pills, liquids), or to topicals as well? I just threw out some expired prescription shampoo and skin cream.

Sheila_H 11-26-2011 12:33 PM

Never put any kind of medication into the regular garbage all of the chemicals in them can/will go into the landfill which can get into the water tables it doesn't matter if its something as simple as Aspirin. I have Epipen's that I need for my allergies they're only good for 2 yrs I take them back to the pharmacy to have them dispose of it because of the needle for one and the drug that's in it.

Originally Posted by Lisanne (Post 4722473)
Are you serious? I just throw mine away in the bottles they came in. I had no idea you were supposed to do anything special to dispose of them. Not that I have so many old prescriptions, and only once in my life have I ever had one with a narcotic (codeine, if that's a narcotic) in it.

Does this only apply to oral meds (pills, liquids), or to topicals as well? I just threw out some expired prescription shampoo and skin cream.

Anna.425 11-26-2011 01:57 PM

Our police department has periodic pill disposal days and we turn them in on those days.

Treasureit 11-26-2011 02:10 PM

I put them in coffee grounds and trash. Worms and roaches and birds on drug... can you imagine?

Sandra in Minnesota 11-26-2011 03:23 PM

I'm from Minnesota too, and have heard that the Police or Sheriff's departments take them.

Olivia's Grammy 11-26-2011 03:33 PM

Interesting thread. I never thought about disposing drugs. I just flushed mine away. We have a spectic tank. After reading this I'll be disposing them differently. The reason I flushed is bc when my FIL died that is what the nurse did. Thanks for the info.

SouthPStitches 11-26-2011 03:46 PM

All medical offices have some sort of regular medical waste pickup. Perhaps you could call and ask your provider if you could drop of the unused Rx next time you are in the area?