Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do you know about burns? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-know-about-burns-t103993.html)

Naturalmama 02-28-2011 10:48 PM

Thanks everyone. It's been almost 3 hours - still really hurts, but has let up some - it's more bearable now. Crazy! I have some antibiotic ointment for ds that has a topical anesthetic in it - I'll put it on before I go to bed.
Thanks!

Grammy o'5 02-28-2011 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Thanks for the suggestions. I have it soaking in some aloe juice w/an ice cube now. Amazing how much it still hurts when I take it out. Seriously - how do burn patients survive the pain when huge areas of their body are effected?! I consider myself as having a fairly high pain tolerance and I'm wondering how I'm gonna sleep tonight. Gotta get another ice cube!!!

If the pain continues you can take Ibuprofen or plain aspirin if your stomach can handle plain aspirin. Those with severe burns on large areas of their body get pretty strong pain meds.

Qbee 02-28-2011 11:18 PM

If it doesn't stop hurting, they do have some stuff at the doctor's that will help. I was taking a cup of boiling water out of microwave last year and the handle suddenly broke off the cup. As usual my little furbaby was right under foot so my silly "mother's instinct" kicked in and I reached out to try to catch the cup. Needless to say; the boiling water splashed all over my wrist and hand. Anyway, I went through that same thing with the pain. I kept it in ice water and everytime I took it out it would hurt so bad. Finally went to the Urgent Care and I was so embarrassed...I was actually crying. They cleaned it...OUCH...and put this white cream on it that really did start working after a day or so. They also had me keep it bandaged and gave me some pain killers. So....if it doesn't get to feeling alot better, you really should go to the doctor.

Rainy Day 02-28-2011 11:32 PM

When I worked in kitchens, we would put toothpaste on our burns - after running it under cold water.
It took out the sting, and didn't blister. No oil of any kind in the toothpaste, and the peppermint one worked best of all.
No oil of any kind on any burn! Ouch!

jemma 03-01-2011 01:46 AM

the more it stings the less deep it burns--exclude the air it will help--aloe vera gel is good but difficult to keep a thick layer on---soon it will stop burning

scowlkat 03-01-2011 04:52 AM

I see you are all talking about putting ice cubes on the burn. I was taught in a first aid class several years ago to the burned area in a pan of cold water and that even running water on the burned area can increase the pain. Was told to not apply anything that would put pressure on the area could cause more damage. Has this changed? I have been out of the work force for eight years now so have not had any recent training.

dakotamaid 03-01-2011 04:53 AM

I was told by a nurse that that you need to keep a burn under cold water for 15 minutes for that to be any help. And then you have to do it immediately. Who has time for that? By the time you read this you should be all better.:)

ginnie6 03-01-2011 05:10 AM

soak it in vinegar. If need be put ice cubes in the vinegar. It works and will not blister. When we were first married dh worked at a burger joint and he had to clean the fry vats at night. I went with him once and while he was cleaning it one of the employees was goofing around and bumped into him. Hoy oil all over his arm. I grabbed a towel and some vinegar and immediately started soaking his arm. the next day it was red but no blisters. And just a few years ago we were camping and our 2yo fell into a firepit....we soon realized though there were hot coals still in it. His left hand was bad. Dh ran to the campstore and got a bottle of vinegar. We put vinegar and ice in a cup and stuck his hand in. Once he calmed down he only cried if we took his hand out. In two days you couldn't even tell he had burned it. We went on to our family reunion and one of dh's cousins who is a doctor looked at it and said he was going to recommend vinegar for burns after seeing this.

SuzanneG 03-01-2011 05:55 AM

Cool water is better than cold. (Ice and very cold water can do more damage to the injured tissue.) Also, don't put anything on it that will seal in the heat, (butter, thick creams, etc.). It's best to just use cool water soaks and some aloe in between. If it blisters, that's a second degree burn and an antibacterial cream will help after you've done a few cool soaks. If it looks waxy white or has a leathery look/texture, that's a third degree burn and you should see a doctor.

I hope this helps and you feel better soon. :D

amazon 03-01-2011 06:47 AM

Put a thick coating of yellow mustard(straight out of the fridge)on it. It takes the heat out of it and it doesn't blister afterwards.It will intensify the pain for just a few seconds when you first put it on, but after that it stops the burning and pain. :D