Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What Do You Use for Dry Hands? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-use-dry-hands-t72554.html)

overdew 10-28-2010 04:36 PM

I didn't figure out that it was the fabric that caused my dry hands until now! I used plain vaseline at night for about a week and it solved the problem--helped my nails, also.

madamekelly 10-28-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Help! I've tried every hand cream there is, including Gloves in a Bottle and the stuff they use on cows udders, but nothing seems to really help - especially after handling fabric. With winter coming on, I'm sure there are others out there with the same problem.

I use Johnson's Baby Cream or Cornhusker's Lotion. I have eczema on my hands and use baby cream at night, and corn husker's while I sew, since it is oil free, and has no residue. I buy both at Walgreen's for a couple bucks.

svenskaflicka1 10-28-2010 04:45 PM

bag balm has been one of my favorites for night time treatment of nasty, cracked hands and feet. it has a petrolatum base, though, so be sure to wash your hands well before you handle the fabric, or it might get greasy. the stuff in the green can has a sulfa component in it, too, so be careful if you are allergic to sulfa!!!

i use avon's intensive care for dry skin, and the cream for extra dry skin. i carry it in my pocket at work in the wintertime--it has a high glycerine content, and heals as well as keeps in moisture. i have to wash well with soap and water with this, too, but the protection seems to hold through the washing. (my hands are terribly sensitive to triclosan, and it is in the soap at the hospital where i work. even my mouth and gums get wonky from the toothpaste that has it as an ingredient.)

best treatment for me is to slather my hands with the lotion of choice (usually avon) , and wear vinyl gloves while i do the dishes. the heat helps my skin absorb the lotion, and the gloves protect me from the dish soap.

i try to keep a non greasy lotion near the sewing table--the fabrics usually have formaldehyde in them as a color fixative, and that can wreak havoc with skin, too. even if they've been washed once, it can hang in there.

ktmo815 10-28-2010 04:56 PM

I use bag balm & white gloves at night - I'm a nurse & with washing my hands multiple times a day & using fabric - mine get really bad. This works for me

Bessie 10-28-2010 05:03 PM

Aquaphor Healing Ointment from Eucerin is the best for me. I buy it at Walmart. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist. I get a pedicure every two weeks and had not said anything to the gal that does my pedicures and she commented to me after I had used it for about a month that she could not believe the difference in my heels. She asked what I was doing different. I told her I started using Aquaphor at night when I go to bed. She tells all her customers about it, and everyone loves this product.

I also use it on my hands at night when I am going to bed.

katied772 10-28-2010 05:09 PM

If you burn soy wax candles you can rub the warm wax into your hands once it is cool enough. Really softens.

penski 10-28-2010 05:21 PM

i have the same problem i bought the gloves in a bottle and it did nothing for me either so i am going to read along and see what everyone else says

penski 10-28-2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sewTinker
I use Extreme Hand Repair, by Beauticontrol. It's miraculous stuff; non-greasy, absorbs quickly, just takes a little, and best of all... it Works! lol... My daughter sells it. thank goodness! I can ask her to send you a sample, if you like.

is this something sold on the internet or in a store i might want to try it also

purplefiend 10-28-2010 05:40 PM

I use Curel Ultra Healing lotion, can't use anything that is
perfumed.

hannajo 10-28-2010 05:42 PM

Something that has really helped me is exfoliating with a salt scrub - any brand, even from the dollar store. Basically pretend it's soap and "wash" your hands with it. The grittiness feels disgusting, but it's worth it. It gets rid of a lot of dead dry skin, and allows lotions and creams to work better. I just wouldn't recommend this if you currently have lots of broken skin.