Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What Do You Use for Dry Hands? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-you-use-dry-hands-t72554.html)

purplefiend 10-28-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
My doctor recomends a product called Aqauphor Healing Ointment made by Eucerin and is sold at walmart. It is like vaseline but much better. It healed my cracked hands and all my fingers. I realy reccomend this product Highly.

This is a great product, and it works great on rashes also.

My daughter has ecema and this really helps! I've been using it on her since she was 6 weeks old, she's 23 now.

Quilter4HireAndFun 10-28-2010 05:51 PM

I use baby oil (good old Johnson & Johnson) on my hand every night....And I believe it really helps.

When I shower, I use Skin-So-Soft oil (Avon) directly on my wet hands....seems to help retain moisture a great deal.

I think I remember reading somewhere where Doris Day used petroleum jelly thickly on her hands and then put those old white cotton gloves on...to sleep in every night...She did not want her hands to "look old."

purplefiend 10-28-2010 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by penski
i have the same problem i bought the gloves in a bottle and it did nothing for me either so i am going to read along and see what everyone else says

I wasn't impressed with gloves in a bottle, plus it smells like perfume.

Bev 10-28-2010 06:56 PM

My doctor recomends a product called Aqauphor Healing Ointment made by Eucerin and is sold at walmart. It is like vaseline but much better. It healed my cracked hands and all my fingers. I realy reccomend this product Highly.

They have it at my Walgreen's too. It's probably a little more expensive though.

Dotsie 10-28-2010 07:42 PM

Sometimes I think to have dry hands is part of the game.......sorry I mean sewing. There are so many creams on the market...just don't stop using.

Judie 10-28-2010 07:54 PM

Aquaphor.. AQUAPHOR.. it's the best thing ever.. I keep a tiny container in my pocket to put on my lips. It's better than any chapstick.. Try it, you'll love it!!

quiltingnana1 10-28-2010 09:20 PM

Extreme Repair is amazing stuff! Love it! Love it! Love it! :)

Pats8e8 10-28-2010 10:45 PM

My Dr. recommended the same product. But if my hands get really bad it takes several days for them to heal. Right now my 3rd finger on my right hand and my left thumb simply are not healing. They are sore open wounds. They look like hamburger. I have to put bandaids on to try to heal them, and yes, I do the glove thing at night also. So if I can't get them to heal, I will sometimes put super glue on them to keep them from cracking further.

GrannieAnnie 10-28-2010 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Help! I've tried every hand cream there is, including Gloves in a Bottle and the stuff they use on cows udders, but nothing seems to really help - especially after handling fabric. With winter coming on, I'm sure there are others out there with the same problem.

My hands have been so bad they bleed the last couple years. By accident, I had a bar of Nutregena hand soap, not something I usually buy, but had gotten it in a gift bag. I started using that instead of liquid soap. My hands healed quickly. Like you, I had tried several lotions to no avail.

TN Donna 10-29-2010 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by quilt-fanatic
Help! I've tried every hand cream there is, including Gloves in a Bottle and the stuff they use on cows udders, but nothing seems to really help - especially after handling fabric. With winter coming on, I'm sure there are others out there with the same problem.

I used to work in a garment factory and all they would let us use was glycerin. It makes your hands soft and helps to pick up the pieces of material too.