Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do your Grandkids call you?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-your-grandkids-call-you-t200512.html)

renee765 09-15-2012 04:43 AM

'Gramma' was always the traditional term in our family. But my oldest grandson, now 5, has called me 'Grandmom' since he was able to speak. I love being called that, and hope it sticks as he grows up! For a while, I was Grandmom Blue Car (for obvious reasons), to distinguish from Gramma Poo Poo Poo (the sound her tv made when they turned it off).

alleyoop1 09-15-2012 04:46 AM

My children called my parents Grammy and PaPa. Our granddaughter calls us Grammy and Grandpa. Her other grandma, sadly passed in April, was called MeMe.

nance-ell 09-15-2012 04:46 AM

A friend's children called her mom Grandy. I always liked that.

QuiltnNan 09-15-2012 04:47 AM

my maternal grandmother was known to us simply as Dee [her given name was Violet]. it came about because when my mother was little, her grandmother encouraged her to call her mom Dear... but could only pronounce it Dee. my mother and father's names are Loris and Don. my mom would NEVER hear of being called something 'old' like grandma, so she chose GrandLoris and GrandDon for their names. i chose Nana since it was so natural with my name being Nancy. the grandmother on the opposite branch to mine chose YaYa [her name is Kathy].

carolaug 09-15-2012 04:50 AM

hmm...GrandMom...like that one too. I like MomMom but my husband does not have found memories of his Grandmother named MomMom

marymm 09-15-2012 04:50 AM

Gee, I didn't feel old when my only grandchild was born. (I was 54 and thrilled!) Just teasing-- you didn't offend. Mine calls me Grandma, and sometimes lately Grandmother. (She's 11, at an age when that makes her feel grown up.) I don't mind either. My grandma was a treasure. As I've heard others say, she can call me whatever, as long as she calls often.

SewSassy 09-15-2012 05:15 AM

I had the pleasure of taking care of my youngest grandson who was 18 months old for 7 weeks when his sister was born by C-section. I would arrive every morning....with "Good Morning". Hence my name by Isaac is Morning. Just love it

kateyb 09-15-2012 05:34 AM

I am Grandma Kay to my one and only grandson.
When our kids were little they had 3 great grandmas, and 3 grandmas (my husband had 2 stepmoms). So the great grandmas were Grandma Nelson, Isabella, & Grams. The grandmothers were Grandma Ruth, Grandma Daisy, Grandma Fran. It was the only way to keep them all straight. Grandfathers were: Grandpa Walter and Grandpa Scotty.
When I was little my only granparents were: Grandpa Red (he had red hair) and Izzy. My grandmother never wanted to be called mom or grandma. I always called her Isabella. I couldn't call her Izzy. Only her brother was allowed to call her Bella.

MamaBear61 09-15-2012 05:40 AM

I go by Granny :-) and my DH is Grandpa. No matter what you come up with and even if it changes as the children learn to speak it will make your heart swell when you hear them greet you :-)

nygal 09-15-2012 05:46 AM

I wanted my first grandchild to call me "Bella" but my daugther the mother to be said NO. So now the two grandkids call us Grandma and Grandpa. We love it.