Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What do your Grandkids call you?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-do-your-grandkids-call-you-t200512.html)

GrandmaNewt 09-15-2012 05:53 AM

Most of my 12 grandkids call me Grandma. My son's 3 daughters call me Grandma Newt. My 2 yr old grand son can't say Grandma yet so he calls me RahRah (that's my favorite!). My husband is Pa to all the kids.

gramajo 09-15-2012 06:16 AM

I'm gramajo. My MIL was grandma (last name). I didn't want the same name so I told GS to call me gramajo. My GD couldn't pronounce it so I was Jojo for awhile. I loved that. My ex was just Grandpa. Other grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa (last name).

ljptexas 09-15-2012 06:23 AM

My blessed GK call me Nanna. I wanted to be called Nanna_____ by my son's 2 adopted daughters 'cause SIL mom was Nanna too. But Nanna stuck. My hubby passed when daughter only had 3 & he was called PawPaw. That's what I called my paternal granddad & paternal grandma was MamMaw. My maternal grandma was called Nannie. My is still living & she's called Grandma. My dad passed 10 yrs ago & he was called Grandpa.

oma66 09-15-2012 06:24 AM

Our grandchildren and great grandchildren all call us OMA and OPA. My husband is Dutch and that is grandmother and grandfather in Dutch (also German).

The best one I have heard is from my friend Jackie. Her grandchildren always heard Jackie's husband call her Honey, so all her grandchildren grew up calling her Honey too. So Sweet!

lillybeck 09-15-2012 06:34 AM

There are so many things that can be said about this. I chose grandma because everyone else wanted to cutsie names so they would not sound old.
My mom was called Meemee as is one of my neices not that she GB's. My aunt was called mama by all and my uncle was daddy tom to all.
Granny is a friends of my and mema is another. For a while my nephew called my grandma gumbo. Pick what you like or be grandma until the little one decides what they want to call you.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-15-2012 06:34 AM

I'm not sure you always get to choose. Kids have a way of saying something before they talk well and then it sticks. I know a lady called "Mammy" because her first grandchild couldn't say Mamaw. She didn't love it at first, but now the great grandkids call her that, too.

My kids call my mother Mamaw. They call my father Old Bob. He started that when the first one was born and it stuck. He has grandkids from 4 to 25 calling him Old Bob.

SUZAG 09-15-2012 06:41 AM

When the first one came, I was Nana. Then came the second and he already had a Nana (her other grandkids call her that) and I didn't want him to think anything that I did came from his other "Nana" so to him I am Grammy...lol I get a little confused sometimes on who I am. I just hope they don't have issues...she's my Nana...no, she's my Grammy! They are only about a year apart.

Ellen 09-15-2012 07:08 AM

I'm Mimi (with the first I sounding like I as in Kim not a long e) and my husband is Grumpy.

aronel 09-15-2012 07:45 AM

My husband and I are G - Ma and G - Pa. Ever since my oldest grand started talking, this is what we have been called, don't know why he started calling us that - but it works.

joysewer 09-15-2012 08:01 AM

I am Grammy and I love it!! Hubby is Pappaw but the little one calls him Pap Pap. I wish we would have chosen Grampy for him!