Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What else do you call small felines other than "cats"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-else-do-you-call-small-felines-other-than-cats-t289534.html)

Patchesnposies 07-10-2017 10:25 AM

Mama Puss, Pusskins, Bobbin, Little Pisser, Goop Goop and Dumaflache!

Sewnoma 07-10-2017 11:21 AM

Each individual cat gets a ton of nicknames, but for cats in general... (aside from those I've seen listed...)

Nice names: Mauser, Moggie, Kik-a-now, Meekie, Kit-kit-kit

Less flattering: Little Puker, Litterfeet, Troublesome Joe

I also like to refer to them as "couch panthers" or "house lions" but that's not something I call them directly.

Kooklabell 07-10-2017 12:59 PM

When I was young my neighbors from Quebec called cats me-new. I spelled it phonetically. Tell you the truth, I don't know any other way to spell it. French for cat is chat. So I don't know where the word came from. My last cat Sadie was called sadistic kitty because she was. :) We loved her even though she was really rather nasty as she aged.

RuthiesRetreat3 07-10-2017 01:06 PM

When my son was just learning to talk, he couldn't make an 'm' sound, so he called his kitty Neow (instead of meow).

madamekelly 07-10-2017 02:24 PM

I always liked the Scottish? (UK) term " Moggie". Dont know why they call them that.

ccthomas 07-10-2017 06:42 PM

Kitty Kitty.

sewbizgirl 07-10-2017 09:12 PM

Titty Tat. My mom used to call them "Sh*tty Chat". She thought that was so funny, and yes she did love her cats. I call my old plump kitty my "fatty football" because that's what she feels like when I'm carrying her under my arm, a football.

WMUTeach 07-11-2017 03:05 AM

I just thought of another name I call my kitty, Miss Pointy Paws! I use that term when she walks across my chest. It is as if she had pointed feet. Other times she can walk across me with flat feet that does not hurt at all. Miss Pointy Paws is a dear little thing but gets her "point" across...."feed me, fill the water dish or open the blinds so I can watch the birds, please."

Dakota Rose 07-11-2017 06:47 AM

Right now we have Skipper and Checkers. When we had two that we got about Christmas time they were Cotton (white long hair) and Candy (calico). We have had a Bibbs (white bib under chin) and Smokey (gray tuxedo) and Cindy 4 legs (given to my daughter by Cindy 2 legs) and when my son was small and had limited words his cat was KeeCock. There has also been a Tigger, Spot, Marshmellow (all black) and Mit Mit (white fromt paws). Everybody at our house gets its own name and come when called or we come when summonsed.

carolynjo 07-11-2017 08:27 AM

We once called one of our cats "Misery" because she was part Siamese and had an awful meow. My daughter gives her cats place names like "Sanibell for the island, etc.