Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What gets off soap scum and hard water off shower? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-gets-off-soap-scum-hard-water-off-shower-t67586.html)

Dee 10-02-2010 06:06 PM

I use soft scrub.

PamQuilts 10-02-2010 06:33 PM

We have a well and our mineral deposits are horrible! I've found Kaboom to work as well as CLR and Lime-Away. My dh soaked our shower head in vinegar last week and it came out good as new. We also run vinegar through our coffee maker about once a month. Maybe I need to try vinegar for my showers!?

Pam in TX

rainbowquilt 10-02-2010 06:37 PM

[quote=diogirl]I have tried just about every brand in the supermarket that requires next to no scrubbing but even the scrubbing bubbles that say no scrubbing, I still have to scrub.. Is there an actual product out there that you spray it on, let it sit and you can either rinse or wipe away?? So tired of all the scrubbing i'm doing even with cleaner. :-([/quote

There is a product that is called RESOLVE and is made my Fuller Brush. This is a company similar to like AMWAY. Just look up a vendor in your area and order some. I believe the last time i purchased this it was about $8.00 a bottle. But it works wonderfully!

Good Luck!

mommaB 10-02-2010 06:50 PM

AMMA-

Does the wax build up on grout? I've been thinking of waxing the tile in my shower, but was afraid it would get on/in the grout and I wouldn't be able to get it out? Maybe its because I'm thinking of the blue car wax!!

fishnlady 10-02-2010 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by diogirl
I have tried just about every brand in the supermarket that requires next to no scrubbing but even the scrubbing bubbles that say no scrubbing, I still have to scrub.. Is there an actual product out there that you spray it on, let it sit and you can either rinse or wipe away?? So tired of all the scrubbing i'm doing even with cleaner. :-(

I read recently about using liquid fabric softener in a spray bottle. Dilute it 50/50 with water and spray it on. I have been using this and it works really good at loosening the scum. If you spray it on really heavy you can leave it a couple of minutes and then rinse it. Repeat for heavy build up. Sometimes to just get it overwith I will use a net scrubbie and it does the trick quickly.

Pins n' Ndls 10-03-2010 04:34 AM

Everyone in my family wipes the shower walls down with their towel after drying themself off. If you can get everyone to do this you will only have to spray the walls with scrubbling bubbles or other cleaner 2 or 3 times a year. My shower walls sparkle using this method. My only problem is the grout around the tub so I use a pointy tipped bottle filled with bleach squirted all along the grout and then let it dry. Grout turns white in a short time. Good idea to keep a window open or use the exhaust for the strong fumes from the bleach. Hopes this helps.

MISHNJIM 10-03-2010 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
I spoke to a friend who runs a Green Clean company, and she said her staff do this on stubborn shower scum: Mix bicarbonate of soda with water to make a paste, then wipe off. Spray with cleaning vinegar - straight up, no water, or cheap white vinegar, straight, then rinse well, especially if there are asthmatics in the house. If it is really stubborn, use a cream cleanser like Jif.
To maintain, keep a spray bottle of 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water in the shower and spray before you shower - unless you have asthma.
Cheers, Rain, and thanks to Jo for her wisdom.

Don't understand the bicarbonate of soda? What is that?

stancilgirls 10-03-2010 05:54 AM

Dawn dishwashing detergent. Use a scrubby and scrub the shower down, let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse. I didn't believe it when a friend told me, but it really works. Helps the water sheet off the shower and you don't have to scrub as much the next time.

mommaB 10-03-2010 11:14 AM

bicarbonate of soda is...Baking Soda!!

Suzan Larrimore 10-03-2010 11:48 AM

I found Krud Kutter at Lowes. It is the best stuff. It comes in a gallon jug and you dilute it to the strength you want. When used full strength it is amazing! Best thing is no harsh fumes.