Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What have you done for someone lately? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-have-you-done-someone-lately-t86035.html)

vjengels 01-04-2011 11:37 AM

I stopped at the bus stop the other evening in the freezing snow, and offered a ride to a man. I had seen the bus broken down some blocks earlier; as is ended up, he needed to get to an apartment complex not too far past my street,; wife & children home sick, called in because of the snow, afraid of losing his job if he was late....It was bad out, but I have frontwheel drive, .... you know how you just get a feeling about people? I knew he was just a poor working stiff....he was very grateful. & I felt good.

akrogirl 01-04-2011 11:50 AM

Around here, one of the biggest acts of kindness you can do for someone on a daily basis is letting them out into traffic - we have some scary drivers who go out of their way to cut others off. I always appreciate it when someone lets me in or allows me to merge onto the freeway without fearing for my life, and try to show the same courtesy to others whenever I can.

Rhonda 01-04-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
So what courtesies have you offered lately or what kind act did you practice?

Does not smacking someone on the back of the head with a 2x4 clue bat count as a good thing? ::plants tongue firmly in cheek::

You betcha!! I have alot of moments when I bite my tongue for not saying what I am thinking! LOL

SueKitten1 01-04-2011 12:42 PM

I always give people a smile, sometimes it could make their day. I give a couple of my friends money when they need it, or go buy food for them. I give away alot of my things I don't need anymore. I always try to treat people like I want to be treated. The other day I was on my way to the store and stopped at a red light. I saw a woman jogging and also a man walking way further back then her. So, I turned my car around to ask the lady if she knew the man following her and found out it was her husband! He was just slower than her. But, I wanted to make sure she was O.K. That is just the kind of person I am.

plainpat 01-04-2011 12:54 PM

I so believe that!

"If everyone "donated" a smile and common courtesies, this world would be (and is) a wonderful place!"

plainpat 01-04-2011 01:01 PM

I truly believe most ppl pay it forward every day, every time they smile,every time they treat others with courtesy or say a kind word. Money has nothing to do with it.If we all try to treat ppl a little better, we'll all be the better for it.

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Aw, I love this thread! I dont have any extra money this year to donate anywhere, I was really sad about that. I usually do send some money to our animal shelter, and our cat one. I couldnt even do that this year. I did make the shelter a raffel quilt this summer, and started another.
I DO try to smile at customers and REALLY help them out....I will take them to an item. I did teach one lady how to quilt too.
Then a girl at work who just moved her wanted to learn to quilt.We make minimum wage, and she couldnt afford a machine, even a cheap one.
WELL< BF and I were returning movies one night, and sitting beside the trash was a sewing machine in a cabnit, a Singer from probaly the 70s? BF stopped to grab it. I cleaned it up, and it worked, so I gave it to the girl at work. SHE WAS THRILLED! Made me feel so good!