Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What iron do you use when sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-iron-do-you-use-when-sewing-t254542.html)

dellareya 09-30-2014 08:16 AM

Interesting thread. I thought I was the only one who was tired of buying expensive irons only to find that don't last. I also use the cheapest iron from Walmart. I NEVER put water in them. I use a spray bottle. When the iron starts to get yucky I have not guilt tossing it out.

tessagin 09-30-2014 08:34 AM

Just pitched my iron I got at a shower back in 1971. It spit and sputtered brown and black after I turned it on (luckily I just turned my back) and it was sitting on my iron rest. Flames started shooting out of it. I unplugged it and threw a wet towel on it. The silicone rest never flamed. Keeping it. Bought a Sunbeam right after that couple years ago. Saw a smaller iron for $15.00 at dollar store. it's light weight and gets really hot. I use water from spray bottle and sometimes use a damp cloth and press jwith my hands over the fabric. It's effective. I like using the smaller iron for piecing and the larger iron for pressing the yardage.

sailsablazin 09-30-2014 08:37 AM

I have a Rowenta but have recently caught the edge of some Wonder Under. I THINK I got all of the gunk off...will see the next time that I press something.
I would love one of those Olisopro irons (like the one that Jenny Doan uses) but they cost $200. Even with a 50% off coupon at Joanne's,,,that's a bit pricey for an iron. Wonder if they would be a better price on Black Friday???

Milli 09-30-2014 08:43 AM

Me too. Til my husband went out and picked up one that was on Sale for $80.

sailsablazin 09-30-2014 08:48 AM

He found an Olisopro (sp?) for $80?? WHERE??? or are you answering someone else?

Kitsie 09-30-2014 09:18 AM

Me too, and if it breaks in a couple of years, there are more at the store!

caspharm 09-30-2014 10:52 AM

I use a Large German made Rowenta at home and use the little travel Rowenta for classes. I don't put water in either of them. I just have a spray bottle on my board.

FroggyinTexas 09-30-2014 01:26 PM

I have one Rowenta, which I love, one Black and Decker, which is wonderful and one Proctor Silex that I use when I am pressing something that might leave sticky residue. All three are good irons for the purposes for which I use them.The Proctor Silex does not have automatic off and I just discovered that it has been sitting on the ironing mat burning up electricity for several days. I really like automatic off, although many people on the board do not. If I were you, I would go to WalMart and compare heft and features. froggyintexas

quiltjoey 09-30-2014 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a Rowenta but gave it to the GW. It leaked and was made in Germany. Now I have a Shark I got at Walmart for general ironing of pants and shirts, etc. I have a small travel iron named Perfection and the handle folds down. I bought at local thrift shop for $3.00. It sits on a silicone pad on a shelf under my pressing area. I use it as I piece. It's better than any of the expensive and less expensive ones I have bought. From now on, when an iron dies, I'm off to find the cheapest one I can...

MadQuilter 09-30-2014 03:25 PM

I got a Shark. Automatic shut-off but it reheats quickly. My irons seem to last about 2 years or so.